FRETS.NET

Luthier Talk (3,971)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Burn-in Balm steam shield

Hi everyone, I had a hunch about using burn-in stick balm to protect lacquer from steam blushing. This morning I did a little experiment. T…

Started by Mike Cornwall

11 Nov 2
Reply by Mike Cornwall

Making use of junk mandolin

Hi, I bought a couple weeks a junk mandolin off from eBay a couple of weeks ago. my question is this since my luthier buddy says the instru…

Started by Kirk Mason

1 Nov 2
Reply by Jon Whitney

Looking for info contained in 1920s/30s Jobber catalogs

A few here  will remember that I am hardcore into the 20s/30s Kay Kraft and Stromberg/ Voisinet guitars. While the collecting is going we…

Started by Kerry Krishna

0 Oct 29

Fender Biflex truss rod replacement

I've got a non-functional truss rod on a 1994 Fender Strat here. I've done the whole 'pull the walnut plug and replace the truss rod nut' s…

Started by Ian Pender

3 Oct 26
Reply by Charlie Sanders

Problem bending sides

I just attempted to bend some Mahogany sides, with a cutaway, thickened to .87-.90 in a Fox style bender. When I took them out there was wh…

Started by Charlie Sanders

7 Oct 26
Reply by Charlie Sanders

looking for binding source for 74 guild

Hey all Im looking for binding used on an aging 74' Guild F50  for the neck its w/b/w/b/w any leed wound be most appreciated

Started by peter meyer

1 Oct 25
Reply by Mike Kolb

Oud neck break: opinions sought

Hi, all! A customer of mine brought this back from Egypt. Unfortunately, and inevitably, it was damaged in the hold of the plane. Wondering…

Started by Keith

6 Oct 22
Reply by Keith

Resource for wholesale celluloid tortoise?

I wasn’t seeing celluloid tortoise sheet stock, now a couple vendors have it for sale at retail prices. While it’s available I’d like to gr…

Started by Mike Cornwall

2 Oct 21
Reply by Mike Cornwall

25' 00-21 restoration. Thanks for the add !

Thought I'd share this rebuild. She came out wonderfully. Just tweaking a few bar frets to finish off. Came to me in this state, fished out…

Started by Dave Griffin

0 Oct 20

Gluing bowed fret board to neck

Should I attempt to straighten a slightly bowed fretboard (new fretboard) prior to gluing. The convex side will be glued to the neck. I've…

Started by Paul Said

1 Oct 19
Reply by Russell Vance

RSS

© 2018   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service