FRETS.NET

Hi

I built a D'Angelico New Yorker copy from Tom Ribbecke's plan (via Luthier's Mercantile) about 12 years ago.  It has since developed a center seam separation on the x-braced sitka top.  It's about 1/8" wide.  I would sure appreciate any suggestions on repairing this thing. I tried a wood epoxy filler (the light stuff in the pix) but not happy with it. Have read about the double blade knife for removing a uniform width of wood then inlaying a new piece of sitka. Any thoughts?

Ernie

Tags: archtop, center, guitar, seam, separation, top

Views: 6648

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the compliment Ned; sent along a pic of what she looked like all dresed up for town.  Took best in show over some awesome jams and jellies!

I think the rehydrating advice is great but I think I would have to agree with Jeff.  IF I could get the seam to close it would be only at high humidty so would have to keep it high for the life of the guitar.  I'm hoping it will be around long after me and can't expect the next owner(s) to maintain it. Here on the prairies we spend a lot more time at 30% rh or less than we do at 50%.

I share your concern for the condition of the bracing but taking the back off...what with wood bindings and all...I have a fiber optic scope from an old horse vet that I'm going to try taking a peek inside if I get a chance this afternoon. The sitka only split a small amount over the x leaving a ragged wood grain which I interpret as the titebond holding at least in that area so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Your description of splinting the top is excellent.  Would you first make the crack a uniform width with a Sloan knife (if thats what its called)?  I've read about the technique but not sure whether these tools are still available.  Have seen the power knife in my Stew-Mac cataloque but would ned to buy the whole Foredom outfit and I'm much more comfortable with hand tools. e

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service