FRETS.NET

This past summer my wife and I spent some time making storage in the garage and rearranging stuff.  This gave me another 4' width to the "shop" space so installed a long bench that I can use for portable bench machines (detail bandsaw, small drill press) and a big clear space for clamping and such.  Overall, I like the space, but thought now that I have the space maybe one of those LMII/StewMac style binding rigs might be cool.  Do you think it's worth the work?  Have you tried one and gone back to a more "traditional" tool.  Anything? Ideas?

Thanks

Doug Thomas

Flat Cat Instruments

 

Tags: binding, tools

Views: 860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi doug-- first let me welcome you to a new year -- as for the "binding rig" that you are refering to I'm under the impression that you mean a tool or jig that is used to cut binding channel... I use a jig that is in the stew mac cat. that is called

a true channeljig and it does a knock out job of routing channels for binding and it doesnt take yp much room.

mine is stored with moulds that I use to build guitars..

hope you and I are on the same page-- if not then I wish you peace--  Donald

Yep, we're on the same page.  With the little dremel attachment and a hand-held laminate trimmer I can knock out a ledge in probably 20 minutes standing over the body.  Since these rigs require moving the body around, I couldn't do it before because of space restrictions.  Hearing that this doesn't take up much space and works well is encouraging.  

 

You can put the one I have on a card table and turn it 360 degreese with noi problem at all, not only that the channel comes out parrellel to the sides like it is supose to  :)
I am hoping to get the True Channel setup from Stew Mac as soon as I can.

I decided to build my own, so this is what it turned out like:

This pic shows how I created a slot in the back to allow the tools own depth gauge to be used.

Overall, the thing cost me 28 bucks and some change.  Now I just need to make the piece to hold the guitar body.  Oh, I added springs to the back so it can ride much easier.  Tested on some odd shaped scrap and it cuts pretty well.

 

So, finally got some time to make the "carriage."  This was about 3 bucks of masonite, and 18 bucks of hardware.  Here are some pics:

Not bad overall, I think I got away for about 60 bucks total.  

RSS

© 2022   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service