FRETS.NET

Happy New Year! I would like to get a recommendation for a good set of brad point drill bits.

Looking forward to your reply.

Views: 520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Happy New Year, Lee!  My own experience with brad-point drill sets has been probably typical of many others.  I can't really give a perfect recommendation to one brand or the other, but I can SAFELY say that it pays to spend for quality.  

A couple of years ago I bought a 25pc set through Harbor Freight for a low price. They all had considerable run-out and couldn't be trusted to make precision holes and today they just take up space in a drawer.  In other words, "nothing's more expensive than cheap tools"!  

This isn't necessarily a total knock on Harbor Fright, as some of their stuff is fine for the price, especially if it's considered to be expendable and replaceable.

I'd probably recommend Grizzly for a good set of modestly-priced brad-points. Here's what I ended up with and they're more than adequate.   http://grizzly.com/products/Brad-Point-Bit-25-pc-Set-TiN/D2305

Twin Lands. Y' can't beat 'em :)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/154242/MILESCRAFT-7-Piece-Fraction...

The 'higher than the discount bin at the local hardware store" price is extremely fair for the quality.

If we're not in the right ballpark with this, you may want to tell us your target budget, metric or standard, how big of a set, etc.

:)

I'm happy with my Rockler brad points (25 piece set).  I was lucky enough to get them during a very good sale and paid practically nothing for them. 

+1 for avoiding harbor freight drill bits.  I got a set of spade bits there years back.  I have never seen runout like that before. Never even used them.

You can't beat Lee Valley's brad point bits ,But they don't come cheap Bill.............

WOW.

I agree with Bill 1000%.  The tips of these bits almost guarantee the best cut possible.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

Personally, I trust Lee Valley/Vertias tools and consider nearly all of them the best VALUE on the market.

Thanks, Bill :) :) :)

Gentlemen, thank-you so very much for your replies and expertise! I took a look at the link Paul posted and am going to get the 12 piece set to start. I used a mm to inch conversion program on the net and correct me if I'm wrong, the 5/64 - 15/64 bits in the set can be used as 2 - 6 mm bits? If so, there's some money saved.

I have the Harbor Freight set. I agree with the others about their lack of precision. I don't use them on the drill press. I do use them in a handheld drill for tasks not requiring exactness.

There are a few different kinds of "brad point" bits.  The best are what is called a "lip and spur" bit.  And the best I have found are made by Fuller.  Amazon is one source for these; there are others.

Lee Valley regrinds some from twist drills.  They work, and are probably a good value. 

This is not the kind of tool (and there are some) that I would get from Harbor Freight.

Good info, Howard. I see where Fuller makes a delineation between brad-points intended for soft woods versus hardwoods...  I've never thought too much about that.

In reflecting over my experiences with brad-point drills, the majority of any runout problems seem to have originated with reduced-shank bits (like a 1/2" bit with a 3/8" shank, etc.)  In this work, there's seldom a need for any brad-point bits over 1/2", so it might be smart to assemble a set with straight shanks, assuming one's chuck will take a 1/2" shank.  Thoughts?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service