FRETS.NET

i would like to know if we can use one piece for back 16 inches and one plate for front 16 inches

are the joints there only so that we can use smaller width plates to save on cost

front plate and back plate without joints will sound the same, better or worse

also for the side i have a six feet long rosewood piece should i cut it to two or use as one piece and will i need a tailblock if i go with one piece

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Single piece backs are seen from time to time, particularly on small instruments - violins, for example. Sides are almost always matched, and two pieces.

Tops are traditionally two-piece, and if memory serves, the only one-piece tops I recall are those on the absolute cheapest guitars from Paracho, and the bottom of the line instruments with hardwood tops made by a few American manufacturers before 1970. Single piece tops have very little chance of symmetrical , and while possible to use for some high end instruments, they are considered highly undesirable, and essentially never used.

You can build a guitar with no end block, but you'll be wishing you hadn't when you want to use a strap and need to put an end pin there. Make a ukulele with a single one-piece wrap-around side. That, you could do. Try to bend a single-piece guitar side to fit a mold accurately, and you will surely not be a happy builder.

Traditional things are traditional because they work, and are accepted. Lots of really bad ideas have been dropped along the way, and if you don't know the history and tradition, you're likely to pick some of them up.
I know its been done for back & top though structurally not the best idea and you should always have a tailblock.The two piece offers the ability to use matching pieces as an attractive pattern based appearance when done well.I don't care for the one piece build for any of the T/B/S's but hey, that's just me.gluck.I don't think it's a matter of sound but more stability.
I BUILD 1 PIECE SIDES/ TOP/ BACK/ FOR THE [PAYING CUSTOMER THEY ARE FAR SUPERIOR THAN ANY OTHER AS FAR AS SUSTAIN,VOICING IS EASIER ,MUCH MORE CONSISTENT THROUGH OUT I HAVE A JIG FOR BENDING 1 PIECE SIDES lol YOU WOULD NEVER gUESS YES IF YO HAVE ROSE WOOD ILL SAY MAKE IT 1 PIECE YOU WONT BE DISSATISFIED CHEERS PHB
Hi Paul
first i am no professional
second it is only my third guitar (first two were exactly as per plan and tradition)
third i have a 16 inch by 3 inch very attractive rosewood lumber nearly six feet tall maybe sufficient for 5-6 guitars with very straight gains
i understood end block is absolutely must for strap
now my question just gave me two very opposite replys
above frank ford says it is done on cheap and bottom line guitars and tim mace says book matching pieces give attractive pattern
you tell me that sustain and voicing is better and is done for paying customer -- i just yesterday took out a 5mm piece from the big piece of rosewood and after sanding to 3 mm what a bell sound without bracing i am feeling bad to split it into two and then rejoin it
or for book matching cut out one more piece from the big piece and book match it
the sustain is good on one piece back
for the top i dont have a 16 inch piece but was just wondering but i accept that book matched top looks good
please help i like the one piece back and like the bell sound i have never heard before
if you dont mind can you please attach a photo of your one piece side jig
ILL BIULD YOU ONE OF 1K NO BODY MAKES THEM I INVENTED IT
[To each his own ].You are not very likely to get a one piece back or top that is 1/4 cut and for that reason alone I would not use a one piece.I don;t beleave in useing Slab cut wood for an Instrument as it is to unstabale in wood that thin. And that is about the only way you would get a piece of wood big enoff.Just try and stick to the tryed and true you will have a lot less problems Good luck Bill.""""""""""""""
Hi William

I accept that to get one pc 16 inch top with straight grain 1/4 cut is very difficult. and book matching is attractive. I dont have one pc 16 inch so i am book matching 8 inches.

Back
I have a 16 inches by 3 inches six feet tall (nearly) rosewood
One piece was just cut out at 5 mm and sanded to 3 mm the bell sound is great without bracing and looks great is nearly 1/4 cut . the sustain is better ( i think the joint offers some damping and filtering )

Side
i have a 4 inch by 6 feet rosewood piece and i was just wondering if one piece side is a good idea or not and should i cut it into two 3 feet one. i am inclined towards two pieces as it fits the mould. any ideas
Well if you have a inside mold and you can get it into that steam pipe that you have there is no reazon to cut it in half. only that it would be a lot easer to handle. I will try and send a picture of the inside mold that I use. Bill.""""'
Attachments:
I have some nice even grain sitka spruce that was bought for bass tops.Out of four halfs, one half bass top is 16 inches wide. Split out pie shape (totally quartered). I bought two sets years ago and haven't used on a guitar yet. I sold my meat saw that could resaw it, 18 1/2 cut. I have however cut one piece tops for mandolins that worked out real nice.
As far as one piece backs, on mandolins I like them, on guitars I'd have to really look it over.
THANKS A MILLION
THE PHOTO WAS OF GR8 HELP
I THANK YOU ONCE MORE SIR
I WOULD SURELY LIKE TO BUILD A MOULD LIKE THIS

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service