FRETS.NET

Hello all!

So I just posted about another guitar that I was fixing the bridge on. And in comes another that I have questions about. The guitar in questions I believe is a 64' Gibson LGO. The problem is the bridge is about to fly off the guitar. Well it would have already if it was not bolted on. My real question is about the bolts that are holding it on----See Attached Pics---. Are these stock or what? Also the bridge seams to be some sort of plastic material. Are these things normal on this model? What would you guys or girls do in this situation?

Views: 1294

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The plastic bridge is stock as are the bolts.You could just try tightening the nuts

Many of these plastic bridges have been replaced with rosewood with non adjustable saddles, and sound quality has improved.

I'd replace the plastic bridge with a same size rosewood or ebony bridge with a standard non-adjustable saddle.

Jim
The bolts are in fact the only things that hold the bridge on! It's actually hollow underneath, so there's really no other way. It could stay like that for a very long time, but as Jeff remarks, replacing it and ditching the klutzy hardware is a Good Thing.
See the link by Paul H. in the recent thread (page 2) about J-45 Adj. Bridges. You can see the whole job in detail.
You may also want to take a closer look at that bridge plate. I see some wood missing along the centerline of the bridge pin holes. Are there any cracks? The direction that the grain is oriented doen't give it much strength. Damage from the ball ends of the strings can weaken the plate and allow the top to belly upward enough that the bridge may start to lift. I know this guitar has the plastic bridge but the visual symptoms would be similar.

I just had a local repairman replace the plastic bridge on a '66 LG-0 that that my wife inherited (from her grandmother) with a rosewood bridge. I have attached a pic of the bridge and hardware removed, for those interested, plus one of the LG-0 next to one of my Guild dreads (a D-46 from 1981).

The bridgeplate on (now) my wife's LG-O also had significant breakout between the pin holes. The damage didn't look like it was caused by string balls, as it was between the holes, not in front of them... more like breakout from drilling. The bridgeplate also appeared to be made of a soft wood (probably spruce). It might have been better to replace the bridgeplate entirely, but after discussing the possilities (and prices) of various repair options with my wife (it's her guitar), I opted to have Tom use maple plugs to fill all the damaged areas in the bridgeplate between the pin holes, and for good measure, the surrounding the pinholes themselves, and then re-drill the holes. Hopefully, the maple plugs will wear better than the surrounding soft spruce.  

Attachments:

Thank you to all of your replies. I appreciate it very much.

From here I will give the customer some options and see what she would like to do. By the way, the bridge plate is damaged and should also be replaced. This project may turn into something real fun..We'll see!

Until next time.

Thanks

Justin

I had occasion to count the old plastic bridges left over from conversions.....I've got 9...All from now satisfied customers..
Hello, I'm new to the site and wish I would have discovered it sooner! I'm a luthier in San Luis Obispo Ca. and have a customer with a 60's LG-O with a bad (it's toast) plastic bridge. Also needs a new bridge plate. He say's he likes the sound of the plastic bridge and does not want a wooden replacement (I know, I tried). Anyway, I see that you have 9 that you have converted to wood and kept the old plastic bridge. Could I buy one of these from you? Thanks, Jim.
You mean, you have, "Vintage 60s Gibson bridges, NOS"?

Hey Jeff,

Nah, would be "UOS" - (this stuff comes up in selling an occasional vacuum tube especially "how "used" is "used" and does testing the tube no longer make is "new?)

Rob

I can still see the Ebay ad...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service