FRETS.NET

I HAVE A MARTIN WITH A FISHMAN PICK UP AND THE TWO E STRINGS DONT WANT TO MAKE SOUND

WHAT DO I DO ? ITS COMING IN TOMORROW AND I AM GETTING A HEAD START HERE BUT WHAT CAN YOU SEE THE TWO E STRINGS ARE QUIET OR NOT AS LOUD? WHAT MAY I RUN INTO ? HERE THE LAST TIME ON A DIFFERENT GUITAR THE SADDLE WAS TO TIGHT BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT'S THE ISSUE HERE ..

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that an under-the soundboard pu is way better that an under-the saddle one, as we discuss in a precedent tread.
But sometimes the customer just wants to leave in place the factory installed pu, and a repair person must arrange the situation the best way he/she can without completely changing the system.
As I told, I'm a KK Sound System fan. Never heard before about McIntyre feather pu. Visiting their site I thought it's the same idea but with a larger one-piece sensor. Is it better, Rusty?
Rob, I did the tool you mentioned with a piece of brass and it works fine. Also a Dremel mill mounted on a mask with a guide gave me good results.
Antonio, sorry a bit slow with my reply, the McIntyre feather is a reliable all rounder which suits a wide variety of stringed instruments - the issue here is not which system is the absolute tonal solution - there are a huge number of systems and some are bound to be better in specific installations -

I'm too old to be working with personal nuances - I just pick the gear which is easy to install, reliable and does the job without too much dicking around or the need for fine tuning - as far as tone goes, some like warm, some like brassy, some EQ, some don't ...I like to put in a transducer which is fairly linear and responsive and let the sound management system/EQ do the detailing. But to answer your question - the feathers sound great in most applications and are just the shot for different problems (such as picking up sympathetic harmonising stings on obscure unpronounceable instruments). Rusty.
Paul -

Please don't type in all caps. By Internet convention it's taken as either shouting or anger.
good call i did not see that i was posting other guitar issues and used a caps lock to enter the forum and missed it thank Frank never been to an internet convention i guess you can do this from anywhere ? i guess
A while back Fishman sold a saddle with several narrow slots cut from the bottom up, each slot ending in a small hole. The slots did not go very far into the saddle so they and the holes were not visible once the saddle is installed. Also, if the saddle is low in order to have nice action I will cut string ramps into the bridge to increase the downward pressure on the saddle. Martin makes string ramps standard on the bridges on some models. On occasion I have done this to a saddle after finding no problems with the bridge slot or the bottom of the saddle.

I have also found Fishman's Tech support to be quite good.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service