FRETS.NET

G'day,

just thought i would intro myself, say g'day, and i look forward to contributing, and mostly learning here!

I am a born tinkerer, my wife calls me TIM the toolman sometimes, just becase i cant leave things how they are suppose to be.

i have recently been drawn to guitar repairs, well because i play guitar, i like guitars, and i was given an acoustic guitar that a friend didn't use anymore, it has a bulging sound board behind the bridge, i have played it about as much as i am going to like that, and started dissmantling it, with the thought, i could learn from it, and maybe end up with a guitar that might play a little better than it does at the moment.

Anyhow, this guitar is a cheapo construction, it has a dowled on neck,of which i found out the hard way, but in the process i have learned how to remove frets, make a makeshift steamer, and found out that there are more neck joints than a bolt on or a dove tail.

I was in the process of looking for ways to fix this cheapo guitar, looking at new necks, looking at how i could re-attach this neck, when i came accross another guitar, a washburn electric acoustic, with a snapped off neck, anyway long story short, i bought it, very cheaply, it the hope i could repair the neck, and have myself a guitar i could use when i play out.

i will attach a photo, i dont actually have the guitar as yet, but was hoping for some constructive help as to the direction i should take in fixing this type of break.

cheers

Geoff

Views: 591

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

G'day, mate, and welcome to the sandbox. You'll find many a sympathetic ear 'ear, and help along the way, I hope
Hi Frank, thanks so much for the welcome,
and thankyou for the huge amount of info you have provided at frets . com and here.
i have been searching and reading as much as i can,
i have found some very useful links to info and pics of broken neck repairs, once i get the guitar i can take some more pics and hopefully someone may be able to guide me as to the extent i need to go to.
cheers
geoff
Make a new neck using original fretboard if possible.
I don't like the headstock anyway.Too busy......nice bod though....
Hi Tim thanks for your input,
so gluing this headstock back on and then adding a backstrap isn't a possibility???

tim by too busy are you talking the frilly bit on top of the headstock??

cheers
geoff
I'm only saying what I'd do or try. Since you like to tinker....as far as the headstock,to my liking it's
too broad at the top and too much bandsawing plus the curlycue graphic?
I have no experience w/such a break and it looks so iffy and in a very stessed area anyway I'd
make a new neck or order a new neck,stick that sucker on(possibly bolt on)and have a better guitar than it was new!With a nicer simpler Hd/stk design.Then again some extremely skilled
luthier would jump on this and fix that break...just not me.
here are some pics of the break,
it looks nasty
just wonder what the best and easiest coarse of action for a novice to try and fix this.
cheers
geoff
Attachments:
and a couple more
Attachments:
I have repaired three broken necks using only epoxy but the break was at an angle not perpendicular.
I think that it can be glued back but using two reinforcements.
Well this break is one of the baddest type because it's perpendicular to the wood grain. You have two way of repairing it :
- try a big amount of epoxy
- cut the neck before the break with an angle (as if you were making a angled headstock), leaving the fingerboard untouched. Then you can make a new headstock including the end of the neck and glue it.
hi, thanks for the replies,
i have been having a little think about it,
so if i use expoxy which will help fill the gaps, could i then take wood away from the back of the glued neck, and add a small backstrap to help re-enforce the area?
it would then have an angled joint???
so if i use expoxy which will help fill the gaps, could i then take wood away from the back of the glued neck, and add a small backstrap to help re-enforce the area?
Yes you can.
it would then have an angled joint???
Hem... I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
Hi Geoff... after looking at the neck pictures and considering what you've said about loving to tinker (don't we all?:) I'd like to offer my 2-cents on what the most likely conversation would be with a customer walking through the front door with this guitar.

I'd listen sympathetically, go over the different options and let him arrive (guide him) to the conclusion that the neck is virtually non-repairable due to the perpendicular break at a very vulnerable location. I'd remind him of what he has invested into the instrument (not much) and how much fun & learning he'd have by taking it apart and playing... with no expectation of actually repairing it.

In other words, I'd turn the job down.... but I'd try to do it so that the customer walks out with a smile. If the neck somehow gets fixed.... congratulations are in order, but (a). I wouldn't take the job myself and (b). don't expect it to work-out well.

Keep looking for cheapo's. Experiment and fuss-away. There are other guitars with not-so-terminal problems to fix. If, however, you're hell-bent on this Washburn, it's time for a new neck. Best of luck, sir!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service