FRETS.NET

Hallo  everybody, I'm on mi way to start a guitar with Nomex in the sound board, the problem is that I am allergic to epoxi, so I was thinking to use tite bond. As enibody ever tryed it before? or in stead what can I use?

Thank you

Alberto

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Polyurethane (PUR) is an alternative to Epoxy according to web based research.  Lot of people on the forum have experience with this using this stuff - I have none.

Like Rusty, I have no personal experience with this.  But take a look at this film on Steve Andersen's technique.  Maybe you should inquire of him about alternative adhesives--he's probably done some experimenting.  I would imagine that a flattop would be made with similar technique without the shaping required for an archtop.

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/steve-andersens-double-top-ar...

Andersenguitars.com is Steve's web site.

Larry

Thankyou Larry and Russell, nice of.

Alberto

You can find a couple of videos on making a double top for a steel string guitar on the O'Brien guitar site here.  This set of videos show how a  top is made with a wooden fillet under the fingerboard extension and around the sound hole. He also shows a slightly different way of applying glue.

I can't say anything about using a different glue but one of the things I was thinking about this thread as I read Peter post on the Torrefied tops. If his point about the potential that a torrefied top wouldn't break in and would begin to fade faster is true, I was wondering if some of that could be offset by using torrefied wood for one plate of a double top guitar and a standard plate for the other side. Maybe a more broken in sound early on but with room for improvement as the second plate "came on line"?

I suppose it's completely possible that the different moisture content and the different reaction to humidity of each plate might  cause structural problems too, so maybe not such a good idea after all? 

Very interesting Ned, I'll think abaut it

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service