FRETS.NET

Been working my way through this one for a few months but I've finally completed the headstock, and I guess I'm just feeling like sharing it. It's been a challenging restoration so far as I'm trying to be as accurate dimensionally as possible to the original, even though it was MIA when I got the guitar. Next step is to fit the dovetail which leads me to a question. Does anybody have an example, or know off the top of their head, the height that the neck should sit proud of the top surface at the heel? Measured from top to bottom of the binding would be best. Anyhow here's a shot from today.

Views: 2124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going to my day job today, but friday will be fretting day.

So it's almost ready for finish. I must say after binding after binding after binding, I think I now know why this was the most expensive guitar Gibson made. One quick coat of amber on and it's already pretty close.

Stunningly beautiful craftsmanship, Mr Johansen!  I would defy anyone to spot this as a restoration.

What is the 'meat' in the maple(?) neck sandwich?

Beautimous........I'm guessing ebony neck stripe...I just wish you had put your name where the G thingy is Johansen looks way more artisan ...I want one !

Thanks guys. The center strip is some really dark Brazilian Rosewood I have that is flat sawn and defect free. When used in the sandwich the grain runs on the quarter and makes for really strong laminations. The birdseye has been seasoned about 20 years now.

You have not said what the actual story was with this guitar. There are a lo

t of us here that want to hear the whole thing I would imagine. And Eric? It does look amazing! 

My first reaction to seeing the completed neck on the guitar was "Gee, I hope that body does that neck justice".

My most sincere compliments, Eric.

Thanks again to all, your compliments mean a lot to me. So you want the whole story...... It's a long one so I hope I don't step on Hesh's toes if I go long here.

Story goes this guitar was sold over the net and shipped out of country. Oddly it shows up in a garage in Central California with no explanation and its head detached. The owner had it shipped directly to me for an evaluation with the intent of repairing the neck that was on the guitar. The neck had been replaced in the fifties by none other than D'Angelico, or so the story went, so for obvious reasons a repair seemed correct. Here is the guitar upon arrival in the shop.So next up, evaluate. First off the headstock shape is all wrong.The binding work was horrendous to say the least.To make matters worse the headpiece had been drilled, slugged, redrilled, shimmed, and added to in so many ways as to make it unusable, and in my opinion, unworthy of restoration. That left me two choices, new neck, or new headpiece. The neck shaft was still in usable condition, however the fretboard, although quite nicely done, was inlayed with solid blocks. '41 S 400's had split blocks. In addition the heel width was about 1/2" too wide at the bottom and it showed on the binding.So from there the decision was pretty simple, new neck. I will still be dealing with a top crack running along the treble brace and some finish touch ups around the neck heel in the coming days, but I'm confident that this body will reward me for my efforts. There was a luthier working in what would today be called the "custom shop" in a little factory in Kalamazoo Michigan  in 1941 for whom this guitar was the subject of his best efforts, it's my hope to do him justice.

And now the "piece de resistance" (the engraved heel cap) is done and she's in the spray booth.

I'm sorry this has taken so long to post, but I dehydrated myself a month and a half ago, and paid for it by hitting the floor face first, hard enough to cause a black eye and head and chest pain for a good month. I've finally recovered and am back to work so the Super 400 is done. As promised I am posting some photos for your enjoyment and mine. The guitar sounds great and man does it have volume. I'm doing to try to get some video of my friend John giving her a spin in the next few days. Will post that later. By the way, for those who live in SoCal, this guitar and many more will be at the City of Angels guitar show in my booth this saturday in Pasadena, so come by and say high.

So here is the finished 400.

A stunning rebuild/restoration, Eric.  It's exquisite!!

Best wishes for a great show. :)

Wow.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service