FRETS.NET

So I'm working on a Martin with the laminated neck , with a bad neck angle...I saw it was a bolt on type , so I told the customer it would be easier than a regular dovetail to remove...Loosened the fingerboard extension , unbolted it , and was surprised to only find 1 bolt...No movement at all...Called Martin...They told me it was super glued , and steaming it would only de-laminate the neck...They had no answers for me as to how to remove it...Any advice ?...I mean , c'mon ,     Martin!

Views: 892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about a couple of pictures?

Sounds like the HPL necks are driving Martin in the direction of kitchen appliances, TV's and shoes:  you can't fix 'em anymore, you just need to replace 'em. 

Nice for the accounting department, but not-so-nice for the rest of us...

There's nothing to see....Fingerboard extension is loose....Bolt is out...Neck is solidly staying where it is...Not even sure if there's a dovetail...

It’s a mortise and tenon joint if there is a bolt. I doubt it is put together with superglue. Just apply steam and see if it loosens up. I think it should.

Jim

I called Martin...They said it was super glued...

Steam is still the only way to get the neck off. Whoever you talked to at Martin May have given you wrong information? If it is superglued and steam will not effect it then you have 2 options, 1. Saw the neck off, or 2. Throw the guitar away.

Jim

Will the finish/neck/fingerboard stand up to acetone? If the guitar is going to be a write off of sorts, how about trying to get some acetone into the mortise? You might be able to reach the mortise through the fingerboard extension (drill through the fingerboard) , or even letting it drip under the extension or the heel itself.

Martin specifies adhesives for the Mexico-made X-series guitars:

3M  PR-600 cyanoacrylate for neck/body joint, and for bridge glue.

I would avoid trying to disassemble that neck joint.

Frank - I would like your take on this.   I have found that CA glue has relatively low tolerance for mechanical shock.  And that makes me wonder about taking a hammer to the neck joint in question (just kidding). 

Really I am asking about CA's resistance to shock forces.

Yup, good ol' PR-600. With the cost of these Mexico-made instruments, Martin doesn't feel they warrant as major a repair as a neck reset. You might find some other way to improve the playability.

I’m assuming these Mexico made guitars have a bolt on mortise and tenon joint. There would be no sense in using superglue to glue the joint as a wood glue would be fine. I’m also assuming the neck block is wood and the neck is laminated wood.

personally I wouldn’t buy such a guitar and if most everyone else would boycott buying them maybe Martin would drop making them.

Jim

I’m assuming these Mexico made guitars have a bolt on mortise and tenon joint. There would be no sense in using superglue to glue the joint as a wood glue would be fine. I’m also assuming the neck block is wood and the neck is laminated wood.

personally I wouldn’t buy such a guitar and if most everyone else would boycott buying them maybe Martin would drop making them.

Jim

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service