FRETS.NET

Hello all,
I have a Tacoma bass guitar in my shop. I took it on as a project because of how it was presented to me. When I brought it home and opened the case it is more than the project that was presented. The owner told me that it was put under the bed without humidification for about 6 months. It was in playable condition when it was put under the bed. Now, it's not playable. And I am thinking not...
Anyway, I don't think the owner's story is accurate as to why it's in this condition. Or is it possible it's accurate?
My thoughts are that the top was weak and the string tension finally got to it? The bracing failed? Both? Poor wood? Sat in a car and got hotter than it should (welcome to Arizona!).
I'm looking for thoughts about how to approach this, or not.
As always thanks for your time in replying to this discussion.
Lee

Views: 338

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's more pics of the Tacoma bass guitar.

Attachments:

And one more of the Tacoma bass guitar.

Attachments:

Maybe under the bed in a van parked in the sun for 6 months.

Not totally clear from your photos, but if the top is fractured under the bridge this becomes a much bigger job.

Hard to tell from the shots, but did any braces actually come loose?  If not, that's a good thing!  If everything's otherwise intact, the heat-and-tension combo probably just pulled the bridge up.  

When the string tension is off, does the bridge bulge settle-back down to being somewhat normal?  Hopefully it does.

The bridge needs to removed and both it and the top should be thoroughly prepped for a re-glue.  Sounds like a fun project.... oh, maybe one that could've been avoided, but here you are ....so have a ball! 

Definitely looks like it got hot. That top may well need to be flattened as well once the bridge is removed. 

I wrestled with one of these quite a bit... once.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the placement of the sound hole on these makes it really difficult to apply clamps to the bridge with adequate pressure. Removing the pre-amp gives more access, but it needs to be well thought out before diving in with a dry-run or two just to be certain. Seems to be a matter of form over function when it comes to bridge repair on these.

Hi Greg, Mike and Scott.

Thank-you for your replies. Sorry I haven't returned until now but I got bogged down in the end of the year school stuff (I am an elementary general music teacher). I am trying to take better pictures and would like to have further dialogue as to how to approach flattening the top-after the school year ends. So I will post in about two weeks.

Thanks again!

Lee

RSS

© 2019   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service