FRETS.NET

Hi, I saw this guitar for sale cheap on craigslist.
It has some damage (see photo).
How much do you think a luthier would charge
to repair this damage, do you think?
If there is a cheap way, would they do it?
Thanks!

Views: 913

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Arthur, that kind of damage on a cheap guitar is almost impossible to fix and make it look good.  The guitar most likely has laminated sides (plywood) and a polyurethane finish.  It's in an area of the body that is very difficult to reach from the inside.  The good news is, you can string it up and enjoy it the way it is.  You may want to use some clear nail polish to seal up the exposed wood.  It doesn't look like there's serious structural damage, and it won't effect the sound, unless there's other internal damage you can't see.  Play it!

Christian nailed it - it's a cheap guitar because of the injury, and that is going to be a difficult fix that will likely cost some money.

What is concerning me here is that you appear to not have played the guitar, so you have no idea if it is any good, ignoring the injury. It's like evaluating a girlfriend based on how many moles she has, when what is far more important is whether or not you can stand talking to her for more than five minutes. Play the thing, if you like it, buy it and play it a bunch more. If not, then it doesn't matter.

If it were me, I'd see if I could jack out the dent from the inside as best as possible, seal the hell out of it w/thin CA, say it's as good as it's gonna get, and then tackle the inevitable neck reset...

How cheap is cheap?  I say this as a confirmed Yamaholic.

thanks for all the advice

it doesn't matter any more though,
as the person has already sold
the guitar to someone else

Hi Arthur.

FYI: I saw the same guitar on e-Bay yesterday.  Same exact description of the guitar as the one on craigslist.  Something hit me as not being right about this deal.

If it eases your mind, that isn't "the one that got away".  You could do better for the same $$$.

Best of luck with your search.(:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service