FRETS.NET

I would like to try using hide glue, but the only supplier I can find in the UK for an electric glue pot is Touchstone Tonewoods who want £235 for the one they stock. As Axminster used to keep one at about £100 until fairly recently I think this is a ripoff, so if anyone in the UK knows of an alternative source for a reasonably priced electric glue pot I would be very grateful,
Dave.

Views: 2054

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey i'll talk to you Mate :-)
I'm using a rice maker filled with water and a jar for the glue. The rice maker has a variable temp control, is a shiny white colour and cost me $35NZ which is about 15quid. It has given me many years of fine service.
Glyn
Hi mate, sorry it's taken so long to reply, but thanks for your input. I'm going to look at alternatives along the lines you suggest, but I,m still p****d off at the way we get ripped off here in the UK (sorry, just had to get that out of my system). Thanks again,
Kind regards,
Dave
i also use a rice maker but put rocks in the bottm to keep the jar off the heating pan
Hi Mark,
Many thanks for your input. After the initial frustration of trying to get my question posted it's nice that 'm getting plenty of response now. Hopefully I'll get myself sorted fairly soon now,
Regards,
Dave
Try a baby bottle warmer from Mothercare.
It works a treat. :-)

Cheers
Rod
Hello Rod,
Thanks for your suggestion , I have been thinking along similar lines and will probably come to a decision about what to use fairly soon,
Regards, Dave
I made (and use) my own one ("dry glue pot") using a 15 watt refrigerator light bulb.
Sorry, the text is in Spanish, but just click on the picture for enlarging, it should be self-explanatory. There are two pots: one for hide glue and one for warm water to eventually dilute the glue, and/or for cleaning up.
Total costs: some scrap wood, some glue, four cans of tomato (I normally don't use canned food), two light bulbs, two thermometers, ca. 10.- $ each and a dimmer (10.- $).
Inspiration by Don McRostie (Big Red Book of American Lutherie Vol.5 p.302).
Hello Markus,
Thanks for the info, I 'm determined not to pay the rip-off price here in the UK so I'm going to look at all the alternatives the good folk on this forum have suggested.
Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,
I bought a really good electric glue pot from a german company called "Dick Fine Tools" they have a website www.dick.biz the advantage is that they have several different sizes the small size is best for instrument making as you only want to heat up what you will use in one day and avoid reheating it too often. It is also portable with a handle like a jug so that you can move it around near to where you are working. They also sell very good quality glue. The cost is OK but obviously not as cheap as it was due to the exchange rates. They are great for all other types of tools as well. good luck!!
Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for your input, I'll check the website soon,
Regards,
Dave
USE TIGHT BOND ALIPHATIC RESIN INSTEAD IN THE US I PAY $14 FOR A GALLON NO NEED TO HEAT IT UP NOT TO MENTION MORE WORK TIME LESS STENCH THAT GLUE STINKS BAD
Hi Paul,
I do use titebond but I also want to try hide glue for several reasons including reversability and also to increase my woodworking experience. I'm not bothered about the smell. Thanks for your input,
Regards,
Dave

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service