Hey all! I downloaded several pics of the repair of the Junior. Thought it would be best to start another discussion and pictorial.

 The following pics are of the 'broken wood' between the post hole and p'up cavity.

Views: 797


Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I decided to make mahogany dowels and glue them in place with West Systen epoxy. I braced up the loose wood on the treble post before inserting the plug and forcing the epoxy into the cracks of the loose wood. I wanted to make sure that the re-drilled holes would have nice hard and straight walls. The epoxy did its job!



A 1/2" brad point drill in the press was used to drill the holes to a 1" depth. I had ordered the 1" bushings from RetroSpec, but they sent me the .88" bushings. Close enough. Those were pressed in with the drill press after redrilling a small hole for the ground wire.



For the headstock fracture, I made a runny batch of hot hide glue. Heated the wood up well and injected and poked the glue into the crack and then clamped it!

It is not very pretty but it is holding well. There is a missing chip of wood that I will tend to later,



I cleaned and re-buttoned the original tuners.



Everything put back together and strung with 11-49 and intonation is 'spot-on'. This ol' gal cleaned up pretty nice.



Front of headstock



I'm convinced there are some super intelligent problem solving primates that come in here..self- excluded .Great fix!


Looks nice. The photo of backside of the headstock being clamped reminded me of a desparate search for a quick clamping pad that would conform to the back of a neck repair I was doing, without having thought through all the steps. As luck would have it, I had just bought some Post Its notepads, the larger size, still encased in plastic wrap, lying on the bench. A thin wooden strip on top of the unopened pad and several C-clamps later problem solved. Just be sure to orient the pad so it "slips" away from the adhesive end as it conforms to the curve.     

Thanks Randall! I was running by the 'seat of my pants'...Ha! I did have it planned out though. The stick of wood with a wad of pink Saran Wrap under it and a 3" section of leather belt on the peg-face side...Ha!

I know it wasn't 'proper' caul making and all....BUT, it got the job done!

I,obviously am not an expert luthier. I am too tight and impatient to use a 'real one'......Plus I had a buddy 'up the road' with woodshop equiptment and skills(helped greatly)

I actually graduated from the Frank Ford/internet/youtube/ School of Lutherie!

I give the credit to my 'comprehension skills' and 'their expertise'...!

 I bought this guitar in non-playing condition for an eighth of what one goes for on the vintage market 'in excellant condition'.

This one was a long way from excellant....BUT (ace in the hole) is original....not a screw turned or soldered!

It did have ,however, all the 'achilles heel' repairs needed that that these guitars are prone to have....namely 'bridge post lean' and fractured headstock' .

I (and others)have always said that the 'mark' of a grest electric is the quality of their tone 'acoustically'. This guitar absolutely proves that 'theory' !

So, all-in-all , it was a great pleasure to 'fix the broken' and play it again.....(the first time for me) and memory of its deceased owner!

I WILL be keeping this one in stewardship until death 'do us' ...part!


I am not super-intelligant....I only mimic what the super-intelligant do....HaHa! and thanks!

It looks good, Rod. When I'm ready to delve into the Wide Wild World of Electrics, I will definitely keep this in mind.Thanks for the Pics.

You are welcome for the pics...My pleasure, really!

It never hurts.... and may be exciting to ....'take a walk on the wild-side'....of guitars...that is Ha! Otherwise, you can't go wrong by staying on the 'straight and narrow' , my brother!


© 2021   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service