FRETS.NET

Can anyone here recommend any resources or reading materials for accurately determining the age and approximate value of older, pre war Washburn acoustic guitars? The guitar in question, in this case, is a parlor sized Washburn model A 5991. The serial number, stamped on the neck block, is 3991. A woman brought this guitar to me to be fixed up, and she wanted me to find out as much about it as I could. It's been in her family for years, and, from the looks of it, in a fairly hot and dry attic for most of that time. From what I read in the blue book, Washburn used this particular 4 digit serial number format from the early 30's and mid 40's, but they didn't offer any particular information on specific models from that time period. Hopefully, some of you guys are familiar with these guitars. Will post pics if you'd like to see them.
I apologize for any typos or weird phrasing; I'm typing this on my phone.

Views: 16258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Washburn Prewar Instrument Styles by Pleijsier Hubert is a good source book for Washburn guitar information.

Post a picture of the paper label, any stamp marks burned onto the back center strip and of the bridge. Those things are more helpful for dating Washburns than the serial number by itself. Serial numbers where started over a few times, you need the additional clues to get you in the ballpark.

Any idea when this was made?
It's pretty rough but I think I will get it back out and work on it some

Attachments:

Ian, welcome to the Forum! This place loves to see photos, many and varied! Maybe take a bunch and post um for us to see what you are fixing? Thanks! 

Paul, thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.
Kerry, thanks for the warm welcome!
Here are a few photos of the label, bridge, and the guitar itself. The bridge was pulling up, and as you can see, someone tried to remedy the problem with a few bolts. So far, I've removed the bridge and splinted those three cracks in the top (they were massive, and I couldn't get them to close up). This guitar could really use a neck set as well, but the owner isn't willing to put that kind of money into the guitar at this time, although I'm fairly confident that she'll be back for the neck set after she's had a chance to play it with the high action.
Attachments:

jus'a wildwestern guess.......Sept 1st 1939...better than no guessatall

The paper label in your Washburn was used from 1906/7 - 1915. The serial number A3991 would date your guitar to 1907. It's hard to quit make out but it appears to be a style 115 (see bottom of the paper label). The bridges would typically be Ebony and normally have flattened pyramid wings, this one looks more like one you would see on a Regal made guitar. They also owned Regal Instrument Co. and there was a lot of parts swapping done at that time.

Here is a picture I had handy in my computer from a vintage instrument exhibit we hosted in 07 of my Style 115 Washburn. It has the Ebony, flattened pyramid bridge I mentioned.

This instrument would have been built for gut strings originally. It will be ladder braced and have a bridge plate that is in all likely hood be made from Spruce. The straight across, non-compensated saddle will not play in tune with steel or silk and steel strings. I use Nylgut "Alabastro" strings on mine and they sound and play great, Elderly Instruments has them. Any plastic strings for classical guitar would work though.

Ian,  Here are some pictures of original Washburn bridges.

George

Attachments:

And a couple more.

Attachments:

When this thread re-surfaced, I looked back at the pictures of Washburn bridges that I had posted.  The first one has uneven spacing of the bridge pins, and I should have mentioned that it was a Durkee patent bridge.  Durkee was employed by the Washburn company, and apparently worked his was up to plant manager.  The reason that the pins are unevenly spaced, is that the strings wrap around the pins.  The three treble strings wrap around the bass side of their pins, while the three bass strings wrap around the treble side of their pins.  The strings all end up evenly spaced.  It was very cleverly conceived, but difficult to achieve, and I'm not sure there was a significant advantage.  Probably a long run for a short slide.

I see a picture of a Levin mandolinguitar on the wall! Very rare.

Same question, looking for a likely date for serial number is  A-19373. Following is the only pic I have, thanks for any further guidance:

Checked my Washburn book last night, your label and serial number dates it at 1910. The bottom of the label, just above the D6050 ( I have no idea what that is/means) should be stamped with the model description. They are generally faded and I can't see any trace on your label. I haven't tried myself but it may be worth checking with a UV light and see if that makes it legible.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service