FRETS.NET

I have a habit of doing photoessays of much of the stuff around me shop for Facebook. It is actually quite rewarding, and of course Frank Ford's FRETS site never existed (along with digital cameras, and easy uploading and myriad other things) I would never do them. I always get great response on Facebook from the Luthiers and friends of mine, and never get comments at all over on the hoytie- toytie  Collings Forum... ( I love all those folks,and post there daily,   but commenting on stuff like this is just a big no-no for some reason once you have several 5k axes in your house! I have no clue why encouraging me in this is something those folks are almost totally incapable of! After all, I AM a sweetheart of a guy!)  

Anyway, maybe 3 times a year, I need to slot a bridge saddle, and the jig that I had was pretty dicey,  made of wood, and was super difficult to  use at the best of times .(it involved a screwgun and robertson screws. Enough said, as I can hear you chuckling...)   

I hope to have it finished today. I gotta say that working with acrylic to make jigs, is both quite rewarding and super difficult. It is mindblowing how easy it is to acetone 100% true pieces together, and so difficult to get them 100% true! And the static electricity  coming off the tools makes for some snow storms of white powder particulate! 

As of last night, I have about 14 hours into this project, and a few more to go. It would have been WAY easier to just fork out the cash and buy this tool, and maybe if photoessays and my ego were not so important to me, I would have bought it. I do love learning though! 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151217895502347.474922....

Views: 1275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You just need the proper browser apparently. There are major glitches happening wit Facebook's photo uploader as they are reprogramming it right now. As such, the photoessay STARTS at shot 33....

Make that photo 35, and the album is finished.  

Mike, what version of chrome are you using? Mine says it's up to date.

Hi Ned... it says it's "version 25.0.1323.1"

Thanks Mike. I had to do some research because your version number starts with 25 and mine starts with 23 but I can't upgrade or even install your version. I found out that your version is the development version which doesn't seem to want to install if the standard version is installed.

The bottom line is that we both have the latest available version of our Chrome. I don't know why I can't see Kerry's site now  when I have always been able to see it in the past.  I'll keep looking.

BTW, I do not have a face book account.

I got the pictures fine with my window internet explorer, what ever came on my computer. Nice looking work. Even with the time involved, I like to make my own jigs. I usually add a feature or two that bought ones don't offer, my fretwire bender has reverse grooves and rounded slot so I can flatten curved wire as well.
My bridge slotting jig is wood and very bulky, but works on the body by itself or on a board to slot a bridge thats not on a guitar.
Sometimes I think I like building jigs as well as instruments.

Ned and David, The problems accessing my page  are also, I am sure, also made more prominent because this is a NING site. On the Collings Forum, the exact same links are posted, (and I have posted dozens of them over there) , and there has never been a single comment that folks cant see them, and there have been probably a thousand views.  

You certainly

do not need a Facebook account to see the links I post. 

Here are 3 pics. In the photoessay, there are I think, 60 pics and I describe the entire process, from guessing at the design/blueprint from about 8 off kilter photographs, to cutting the acrylic, how to do perfect 90' angles so it can all be glued up with integrity, to improvising with problems after I make mistakes. 

I'll tell you guys, I really try and be as transparent online as I possibly can be, so including mistakes is a direct result of that. Everyone screws up right? My ego needs dressing down too!... 

Attachments:

Last one. There are now 4 pieces of half inch cork on all the corners too, and I have yet to cut a slot. 

Attachments:

Last ones... 

Attachments:

Thanks for posting the pictures, Kerry. I like it. 

I've been able to see your facebook pages before so I'm sure I will be able to see them again in the future. It is most likely something with facebook, my browser or my PC.  Perhaps the next upgrade of my version of chrome will fix the issue. I'll just check from time to time.

Very cool stuff, my man! What is the year of the SJ in your pics?

Rod

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service