FRETS.NET

I just bought a 60's Silvertone classical guitar. It was made by Harmony and it is a nice instrument: solid mahogony back and sides, spruce top, mahogany neck with a Brazilian rosewood headplate and bridge. Fretboard wood is a dark hardwood I can't identify.

The action is high and it needs a neck re-set. It isn't built like a typical classical guitar with a fixed neck block. I'm pretty sure it has a dovetail. The top is fan braced. 

My question is has anyone done a neck job on one of these Harmony built nylon string guitars? I don't think the dovetail pocket is under a fret. I believe I will have to drill between the 12th and 13th fret.

Any information would be appreciated.

Views: 344

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't done a nylon string, but I have one. I have done a slot head string string that is almost identical. I did the standard drill one fret slot past the body joint at a slight angle. You will feel the bit hit the empty space. See attached photo. Tom

Thanks Tom,

I've re-set a few steel string Harmony necks, but this guitar has a shorter scale and the 13th fret is a bit too far towards the sound hole. The other Harmony dovetails are about 1/2 deep and when I measure from where the neck meets the body, 1/2 inches puts me between frets.

I'll let you know what I find. I'll post pics.

Rich

Drilled at the 13th fret at a pretty good angle as you can see by the pictures and found the pocket. Neck came off easily. 

Attachments:

Good job, Rich. If you don't mind could you also post these in the "Neck reset Gallery" thread. Frank has it locked at the top of the forum.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service