FRETS.NET

This is the same University of Michigan parlor guitar.  When I bought it it had a rosewood pyramid bridge glued on backwards and a tailpiece added.  This was not the original bridge.  Hopefully you can see from the picture that there were 6 additional holes drilled behind the bridge pin holes, and 2 more smaller holes drilled at either end of the row of bridge pins.

The replacement bridge was totalled, so I used a router to take it down to a paper thin layer of rosewood, and then used a soak with water and a little heat to remove the remnant.  Under the bridge were several kinds of glue, and the previously mentioned holes.  Some of the glue came up with water, some with vinegar, but there is still some glue that doesn't want to budge.  It is hard when dry and a light transparent yellow.  After being soaked with water for an hour, it turns white, and is no longer brittle, but is still very tenacious.  When white, it can be scraped off (barely), but it wants to take too much spruce with it.  As you may see in the picture there is already too much spruce missing.  I hate to lose more.

Any ideas as to what kind of glue this is, and how to remove it?

Thanks for all the help on this one.

George

Views: 67

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Might be Titebond.

Or LMI white? It ain't HG for sure, good luck with removing it. Maybe with a bit of heat to make it softer? Try warming it with a heat gun (but carefully) Not more than 150°F (65°C)

Grahame

sounds like epoxy

It appears to be titebond or a similar glue, it's not epoxy. You can simply scrape or sand it off.

Jim

Either of the above mentioned methods will probably work, but if it were laying in front of me I'd just soften it a bit with hot water and scrape it off. That's the easy part of this job. The fun part will be replacing the bridge plate and patching the top.

Good luck.

Jay

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service