FRETS.NET

Where could I get some information as to the collectibility and value of a 1960 Ramirez guitar? I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it has a spruce top or cedar top.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call Rosewood Guitar in Seattle at (206) 297-8788, ask for Bill Clements, the owner. He's seen a fair number of Ramirez guitars, especially the 1a's that I'd assume you're interested in. For perspective, '70s vintage 1a's run around $5-6000 depending on condition. Who knows about earlier ones. I think Bill can help.

Bob
Thanks. I'll get some pictures and measurements tomorrow and call him.
Howdy,

These may be helpful also. The best two guitar shops in Kansas City.

Bentley's Guitar Studio in Parkville MO (816) 746.9772
Mountain Music in Shawnee KS. (913) 962.9711
I got the Ramirez guitar from my friend today. He bought it in a pawn shop back in the late 60's, has loaned it out over the years and it has suffered. Since it has the pickguard, I assume it's a Flamenco model? I know NOTHING about this type of guitar. It appears to be cypress with the 1950's dimensions:
Width lower bout 14-1/4"
Width upper bout 10-9/16"
Body depth at end block 3-13/16"
Scale length 25-9/16"
Width of board at nut 2"
Width of board at 12th fret 2-3/8"
Angle of headstock 20¡
Wood, top...I think it's spruce. Hard to tell for me.
Neck reinforcement none
Wood, back Cypress
Wood, sides Cypress
Bracing of top symmetrical fan

Major problem: Neck block/shoe shift, probably caused by leaning the guitar and having it pushed or sat upon. Related cracks in back. The top and rosette are involved on both side of the fingerboard and the top is sheared cross-grain on the bass side of the fingerboard. Crack in center seam from sound hole to bridge and from bridge to tail.

He wants to sell this guitar, but we need to determine if we:
1, Repair it first...is it worth the cost to repair vs the value of the guitar?
2. Sell as is and let someone else worry about it. I don't know if it's worth repairing. I know nothing about classical guitars

Who would be the best luthier for this job, if it's repairable? I repair guitars, but I'd rather let someone familiar with Ramirez's instruments work on this.
Attachments:
Poor old guitar. It certainly didn't deserve what it got. I've heard people praise the pre-1a's for their sweetness. Yep, cypress back and sides and a golpeador says it's a flamenco. Given that it's a pre-60s guitar, that's got to be spruce on it.

For starters, you might call Richard Brune' in Chicago at (847) 864-7730. He's handled a boat load of vintage instruments, including Segovia's 1912 Manuel Ramirez and 1937 Hauser. He should be able to give you an honest estimate of repairability and it's cost vs expected value. If he doesn't want to do the work, he can refer you to someone that he knows will do a good job.

Cheers,
Bob

If there are any initials on the label or the neck block, what are they?
No initials on neck block, label or under top that I could see.
Too bad. I guess that practice started in the '60s whereby the person who actually built the guitar would affix their initials. PB for Paulino Bernabe, FM for Felix Manzanero, etc.

Bob

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service