FRETS.NET

Not wanting to crash the party - I am not a luthier - but I collect info about them assuming that if someone finds a guitar without providence they ask 2 questions:
What is it?
When was it made?
There is obviously a 3rd question - how much is it worth - but that is not so important to me.
The following questions are directed to Frank (but am happy that any luthier responds as I am trying to document this info for as many as possible).

I have collected some info for Gryphon at:

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_g.htm

and would be keen for an answer to question 3 below:

1. When did you start making under that brand name.
2. Where made?
3. How do you tell date of making
4. A photo of the date mark would be icing on the cake.

Regards
paul

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad to have the link to jedistar, Paul.
It's a great job you are doing there.
Thanks - glad it is appreciated. Much cheaper than G.A.S. too - like window shopping on the interweb....Cheers
Paul - That's a great service to the musician/luthier community! I have a page on my beginnings posted on FRETS.COM:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/FF/aboutme.html

All the guitars were made here in Palo Alto CA, and the last one was in 1973 or early 1974. We've operated a retail store and repair facility continuously since then. There is no way to be absolutely clear on the date of the particular instruments because our record was lost some 30 years ago. There is no date mark. All the guitars and mandolins had German spruce tops because that was what was in fashion at the time.

Later, we made one banjo in 1980 for exhibition and a bluegrass banjo in 1986 for a friend and customer.

Cheers,

Frank
Dear Mr. Ford:

I am the proud owner of a Martin HD-28, Blueridge BR-7S and Ca. 1980 Alvarez Banjo.

I would like to thank you for your WONDERFUL Frets.com website. I spent the better part of this morning reading the various guitar and banjo articles you have posted on there and I found all the articles to be informative and written with a great deal of good humor.

Thank you for a great morning.

Jack Howland
Utica, NY

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service