FRETS.NET

Hello all, First of all thanks so much for the helpfull responses to my headstock fracture issue! My second repair issue with this guitar is firming-up the bridge post bushings.

I have found that leaning bridge posts are common on the '54&'55 LPJ's. Mainly because of the shorter (1/2") bushings in an almost 1" hole and.....the close proximity of the treble post to the P-90 route.

This guitar has the 'classic' post lean! The pressure from the treble post has 'compromised' or broke the wood between the hole and pickup route.

In doing so it has 'deformed' the holes somewhat I will try to depict....

Views: 3535

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

paste wax and saran wrao shoild work well.

Hi Rod,

I'll only comment on the one of your previous comments:  "I just don,t want to effect vintage value. Although I want the guitar solid and playable."

Your guitar, according to the photos you provided, is in utility or player grade condition.  At the top of the value scale are LPJrs in 'Excellent' condition. I don't buy into 'mint' descriptions unless the instrument is NOS and unplayed. Believe it or not, they [EC LPJrs) are relatively plentiful on the used market.

If it were my instrument, I'd make the sturdy repair the top priority and not worry that much about an invisible touch-up. Neither repair issue will decrease the value of your instrument.  You'll have a fully functional instrument as opposed to the 'broken' one you now have.  So using that logic: you're LPJr may actually increase in perceived value.

Okay Paul! Perhaps that was not the proper phrase for me to use to convey my thoughts. I thoroughly appreciate a vintage guitar that has not been 'assed up' by a bunch of 'drug-induced' dip-shit teenagers OR parted out by 'equally dip-shit' dealers!

I dare say that not a screw has been turned on this guitar since new, other than to put chassis washers under the bridge posts to correct the lean that was inheritant from the 1/2" bushings that were used on the '54,s and '55's,This guitar has obviously been played and has wear and neglect to show for it. It has a couple of repair issues.

I also know that Gibson shipping records indicate that 2,839 were shipped in '55( not sure if that qualifies as a 'buttload' or not) !

I like the looks of it and I don,t want to turn it into a 'morphed-out' version of what  it is. If I 'did' want that ...I would drill and fill and refinish till my heart was content.

Vintage value may not have been the correct term. I do not plan on selling it!

I simply like the looks and feel of played vintage guitars.

I have put togather a guitar of my liking already.....The RetroRod tele custom.

I think you are being a bit rough with your 'percieved value comment' compared to some of the crap that I have seen sold for good money!

I was happy to get this guitar from the dead owner before some other 'hammerhead' put a bolt through the headstock , carriage bolts in the bridge and added a Bigsby!

Can we at least give that an AMEN!

Attachments:

Hi Retro.

Given that the treble side 'block' has broken into the wall in the pup cavity, one option would be to simply replace the entire block with an new undrilled  piece of mahogany.  This will completely eliminate any further stability issues as the current wood may be too soft from existing deterioration.

Given the general condition of the guitar & other needed repairs, my option, or anyone else's, will not greatly affect it's value.  This instrument is in "utility" or "player grade" condition.

If originality is not a big issue, you may wish to add a stop tailpiece & TOM bridge. Also, another option would be to relocate the treble side stud hole to make it more even with the bass side stud.  This will greatly improve this 'original design'  deficiency. But then again, if originality is a factor, then these would not be viable options.

Best of luck with this super cool killer piece. 50's & early 60's LP Jr's are the "funnest" electric guitars in the world.

Have fun with it,

Paul (:

Thanks Paul, I indeed look forward to having fun with it. I am a bit of a purist and desire to repair it to original specs with the least invasive methods possible.

I will have to weigh out all the options and go with what I am most comfortable with to start with and hope  that works.

Rod

Before you attempt anything on this, please find Dan Erlewine's great repair for these. It involves using longer posts, and adding a length of original-size bushing jammed against the original, the idea to keep as much of the original as possible. The original article I saw this in was in a Vintage Guitar column that he wrote. Ingenious, if you can find it. I've used it on an identical repair, and it works great.I think it was maybe two or three years ago. Maybe somebody else here read the same issue. Good luck.

I remember that article and was digging around for it. Rod, I would call VG or Dan to inquire about it. They are very friendly folks! 

Thanks a bunch! I agree that Erlewine is the best. I have many old VG mags scattered around. Would be nice to get a direct link to it! I am out of town for 5 days and my internet usage might be limited. I will definietely be touching base by Tuesday.

Although I am in a hurry to play it, I will take my time to get a proper repair....:-)

Nice work,Nathan! Thanks for sharing.

I am still trying to locate the Dan Erlewine article as well and have just sent an email and pics to StewMac for some more advice.

So far...not any instruction from StewMac. Only a 'don't attempt this if you are not experienced'....warning!

I have figured out that the Dan Erlewine repair article dates to Aug-Sept 2004 ...a 2-part story. I have searched my stash of VG mags and have found everything but....

I have given away many....probably the ones I am looking for....Aaaaurghhh!

I feel confident about doing the wood removal thing, but am not confidant about the finish work to hide the repair!

Attachments:

Rod,

I think you read more into my reply than was intended. To summarize it: a good repair will not affect the value.

I used the term "perceived value" as most vintage instrument owners overestimate the commercial value of their guitar. If you don't plan on selling it, then it's a moot issue. I do understand that it's of tremendous 'personal value' to you.

"I also know that Gibson shipping records indicate that 2,839 were shipped in '55( not sure if that qualifies as a 'buttload' or not) !"  I can't seem to find where I commented on production numbers.  But....I used the term "relatively plentiful" to differentiate it from other similar and rarer vintage guitars like LP Standards& Customs.

In the world of 'vintage value', condition & originality is everything.  I'm sorry if our terms didn't align, but the last photo you provided shows it to be in 'good'  condition.  That's not an insult; just a fair industry standard evaluation. It's still a good looking, and I bet playing & sounding, instrument.

Have a great week & best of luck with your repair(-:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service