FRETS.NET

Hello all, First of all thanks so much for the helpfull responses to my headstock fracture issue! My second repair issue with this guitar is firming-up the bridge post bushings.

I have found that leaning bridge posts are common on the '54&'55 LPJ's. Mainly because of the shorter (1/2") bushings in an almost 1" hole and.....the close proximity of the treble post to the P-90 route.

This guitar has the 'classic' post lean! The pressure from the treble post has 'compromised' or broke the wood between the hole and pickup route.

In doing so it has 'deformed' the holes somewhat I will try to depict....

Views: 3535

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First off, I offer my sincere apologies to Paul and the the rest of the forum members for my 'unnecessary rudeness' and attacks! This forum has a wealth of talented people! After re-reading the posts, I realized that I had 'unduly' disturbed the civility and comradry that exists here.For that, I am sorry! I came here seeking knowledge and it appears that I have bit the hand that feeds me. I should curb my alcohol-intake before spouting off..:-(

I will re-evalute the treble post positioning before re-drilling, but first let me offer my 'country boy logic'....

As evidenced by the fret and fingerboard wear(heavy) on this 60+ year old guitar, it had been played seriously at some point. I can,t help but think that it played and sounded good, having no intonation mods done to it previously!

I,m not opposed to experimenting with string guages(wound3rd) , BadAss bridge and the like to optimise the intonation.

Having played for 45 years I realise that I will never be a 'stellar' player...so perhaps 'ultimate playability' in a guitar is wasted on me anyway. I will say that I have bought ,sold, and traded for dozens of used and vintage instruments during that time. Some of the best guitars that I have had...and have, exhibit a lot of play wear(simply because they were(are) good guitars).

I offer up as 'food for thought' when going over Paul's informative discussion(in his experience) of the inadaquences of the LPjr bridge design and neckset..... (he said many-not all) exhibit issues. Perhaps many of  the 'minty'-glass case examples are the ones with the worst-case scenarios of these deficiencies and is why they are super-clean and unplayed!

In which case....(light bulb turns on).....Pauls' use of the term 'utilitarian'...IS a GOOD thing!...:-)

A clear mind, brings clear thoughts.....Sorry Paul!

I've worked on a lot of player worn guitars that by any standard would be considered unplayable due to high action, poor intonation, broken or non functional parts, or rust encrusted strings, and the best that I can figure is the player found a way to compensate for these deficiencies or just plain did not care. To each his or her own I guess. Some instruments possess qualities that can override any deficiencies they may have and your LPJ may just be one of those. For those who desire perfection there are always remedies available, but for the average player like me it can be irrelevant in the long run since I'll never be able to match that level of perfection in an actual performance. Set it up to your satisfaction and then just have fun.

I agree with Eric, Rod. I have a dear friend that was one of the players I grew up with, He's a fairly decent player but can't tune a guitar to my liking at all. He just isn't able to hear that it's a cent or two off. In his case, my brother and I have been around to make up for that gap and to insure that is guitars have been setup and intoned decently. Of course, now, good electronic tuners make a big difference.

The bottom line is that I am of the opinion that a guitar SHOULD be setup and intoned as well as possible BUT what really matters is that you, the player, are comfortable. (though I sometimes hear recordings of guitar music that would be very nice if it was in tune.) If you are going to play for the public, I think you owe it to them to be as in tune as you can possible be. If you play for yourself... have a good time.

On another note; Sometimes we all blow it. Glad you are able to see a mistake and Glad you are here.

That's just history now Rod.

Let's move forward with a clean slate & a toast to a productive future. (:

Take care man,

Paul (:

Thanks Paul! Clean slate!

Just wanted to give an update ....

I used West System epoxy, last night, to glue in the mahogany dowels and secure the loose piece of wood on the treble post. All looks good!

I used hot hide glue to repair the headstock fracture this afternoon. All looks good!

Hopefully the new 1" bushings will be in tomorrow. I will drill new 1" holes and press them in. SOoooo.....tomorrow or friday I will string her up and see how everything reacts.

To be honest, I just can,t wait!!

I will try and download some pics soon.

Rod

Sorry if I bore anyone and 'wax poetic'......BUT .....Today is NGD (new guitar day) for me. I got the neck fracture cured last night. New bushings holes drilled and .88" bushings pressed in (I ordered the 1" but got the .88)..

I will preface the story with this phrase(being the Southern Man that I am)....

"Hey YA'LL.....you ain;t gonna believe this shit......)

I put her all togather with an 'estimate of the bridge height and intonation adjustment'....and she plays and intonated great! I may take the height adjustment 'down a hair'....

I wanted to install a wounded G set. I did not have, so I put on D'Addario Blues/Jazz Rock 11-49's on it! Spot on, with the nut and bridge....uN-BELIEVABLE!!!

Thanks SO much for you guys Info and input and Thank God that this guitar turned out to be a "good one".....

Pictures to follow....For Sure!!!

Rod

Rod. If you're interested; I just saw an Aug 2004 VG on eBay. ~ $11.50 w/shipping.

Thanks Thomas! That is the kind of info that I am looking for. Not 'how utilitarian and amateur' the guitar is....

I will check it out!

btw. I'm just here for the wood, not the splittin'.  Get on the good foot!

I am with ya' brother! I AM 'on the good foot' especially when my bad foot is acting up! I simply wanted some 'savvy' repair advice and not a lecture from some Paul Veridichio on the "percieved value" of the friggin' guitar. Get my drift?

Sorry to rant....MOST have been very helpfull!

Rod, I've been following Paul's posts on this site for a long time and have always found them to be informative and well presented, and without "attitude" issues. I think you may have gotten the wrong impression from his comments. Don't take it personal OK. Now to what I really wanted to say. I've got a '57 LPJ that is my favorite electric. They kick ass is all I can say. Love the scale length (great for my stubby fingers) and I overcame the compensation issues by adding a reissue wrap-arround that I compensated with my nut files. Worked great for me. Whatever you do to bring this one back to life will be worth you're efforts. 

Thanks! ....and yes, I probably did misunderstand Paul! Me,not being a frequent participant on this forum and not being familiar with everyones personalities and dynamics leaves me at a disadvantage. I think it was a difference in terminolgy and attitudes that caused me to 'blow-up' on him.(that and being off my meds)....;-)

I apologise for my attitude in handling the situation!

Rod

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service