FRETS.NET

hello all,i have a 60`s es 345 in the shop and the customer is complaining that the varitone choke box (i think thats what it`s called) is rattling around in the guitar.are they normally secured down somehow?or is normal to be loose like that?i was thinking of putting some double sided tape on it but worry if the guts need to come out someday the box being stuck down could be a pain in someone`s ass possibly mine!

Views: 398

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Graham.

I've found that any and all aspects of the Varitone are a major PITA. That being said:

Double sided 3M adhesive foam pads should do the trick. Don't use ones from a discount house. You want the highest strength 3M product.

Make sure the bottom of the shielded box is clean of dirt & rust/corrosion and that the back of the guitar is clean (swab both surfaces with naptha). Then apply the foam adhesive strips & let them do their thing.

That should hold it securely AND allow the 'next guy' to easily remove & reinstall it using the same method. Other may (probably) have better or more effective ideas. :)

Best of luck :)

I once owned a '67 355 with Vari-tone...I am not sure how the 'original' installed .....but had to re-install a replacement....major PITA...

Best of Luck, also!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service