FRETS.NET

I have this guitar in for evaluation and possible repair.  It has a host of issues, I need input on two or three.

- The truss rod does not seem to work properly. I can't adjust it so the fingerboard is straight- as I turn the nut, and approach straight, it humps at the third fret. Has anyone else encountered this problem with a Gibson of this vintage? And, was Gibson still using their traditional one-way compression rod at that time?

-the neck appears to be well overset, from the factory.  The saddle is a full 1/4" tall, and the strings are barely off the board. again, have others encountered this problem with guitars from this era? There is also a significant hump at the neck/body joint, compounding the neck/fretting issue.

The guitar appears to have been built with a very significant radius to the top: it was very dry when I took it in, with a sunken, distorted top.  Perhaps the appearance of overset is caused by the dryness(I've got the guitar in my 'hydration chamber' to bring it back).  Any comments on what,if any, radius Gibson was using on their tops at that time?

Views: 438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has the humidification gotten you any improvements?

Also, when you turn the truss rod nut, does it turn independently, or does the whole rod turn. You might have a double acting rod in there.

Hi Andrew, humidification has certainly helped, as the guitar was so dry.  But the problem of the overset neck is still there- it will need a reset. 

The distortion in the top was quite pronounced.  This guitar does not have a popsicle brace: rather, there are two finger braces, under the fingerboard extension, at angles(substitutes for a popsicle brace).  This is one area of distortion(the others are in front of, and behind, the bridge).  All the braces appear tight. I have not looked at it for several days(out with the flu) but will recheck it soon.

I have since found a discussion, on the Gibson guitar forum from 2012, of the same issues on the same model guitar, from the same year(humps in the neck, attributed to manufacturing defects).

I'll have to look again at the truss rod, as you suggested, to see if the rod turns, or not.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service