FRETS.NET

A friend brough me his son's "new" Hoyer Archtop. It is a pretty nice instrument that plays well and is in excellent condition except that someone seems to have dropped on on the end pin at some point.  The end block appears to be fine with both an internal inspection and a look through the end pin hole but the lower side cracked, starting from the end pin hole, running toward the lower waist for about 8 inches. 

The end of the crack, furthest from the hole, can be pushed back into place easy enough but the portion of the crack which is over the tail block will not close up even with a LOT of pressure.  Hydration hasn't helped the issue much. It's as if the side were in tension before the accident and just doesn't want to close up again now that it is released.

I've never run into a crack on a side like this one. I've always been able to close up the side cracks I've come across even if some do take a lot of pressure and special jigs to hold thing in place.  I suppose I could take the side loose from the end block  but that really seems like overkill given the condition of the rest of the instrument.

Have any of you splinted a side crack? Is this a viable technique for side repair? 

Ned

Views: 675

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bill is right on!  Do NOT apply water directly!!  It'll likely make matters worse by warping the wood. S L O W L Y humidify.

Hi Ned.... OK, so maybe the 'overheat-and-loose-glue' theory's a bit far-fetched, but it was a shot.  So now here's my 2-cents worth of conspiracy theory: yes, that crack was caused a long time ago by an endpin being jammed-in too tightly, either by intentional force or a dropped guitar. In any event, it has settled quite comfortably into that position and doesn't intend to move.

At this juncture, I would take advantage of the stubbornness and splint that puppy closed. Clean it out real good, etc. and fill that nasty crack like a NYC pothole. Then the job is touchup, but that's always the job. I'd be getting pissed at that crack by now. Splints ahoy! 

Bill and Chris,

I am really reaching with the idea of applying water directly to the crack. As Mike pointed out, I'm getting fairly frustrated with this "simple" fix. When I first got the guitar I was sure that hydration would close it. I could try for a couple of more weeks but the owner is getting antsy because I've had the guitar for quite a while now. I'll forget my thoughts about applying water directly. 

Mike,

Everything on this seems "far fetched" to me and I've looked at everything anyone has brought up in this thread. It's not like any split I've dealt with before. I keep looking at it and wondering where the rest of the mass went.

Splinting the crack is what I originally asked about. It's the idea that makes the most sense to me. I think touch up will be relatively easy since it's a black finish. At least there is not grain to match as well as color.

This thread has given me a better understanding of what I'm looking at. ALL of the ideas given here have helped me and I really appreciate everyone's contributions. 

Ned

Ned, Glad we could all offer our '2 cents' worth of input.  Splinting may be the way you'll have to go.

Best wishes,   Chris

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service