FRETS.NET

Taylor 110 with Broken Headstock - Now with 8+ year Update

Recently, my son's cat, Don, had a manic spaz attack and bounded into my son's Taylor 110 (yes, it was left in a precarious position from the start).  The results: The Taylor is now decapitated and Don is currently at the taxidermist rather patiently awaiting his consequences (I kid, I kid). 

I've combed through quite a few threads on this fine forum re: headstock repair so I'm beginning to get the gist of some of the considerations and strategies, but also understand from the many informed comments that the nature of the break shapes the specific suggestions offered, so I've attached a few pics.  As you will see, it's an ugly one.  Not much surface area, jagged and right at the topnut/truss rod; so I'm thinking any repair short of making a new headstock/neck section will be pretty iffy.

A new neck can be had from Taylor for $175 but they will not send it to me directly.  It has to be sent to and installed by an authorized Taylor repair location (at an additional cost), according to the Taylor Customer Service rep I spoke with.  With funds tight, thought I might give it a go myself with the kind help offered by my neighbor who happens to be an accomplished woodworker, though not a luthier.

Would really appreciate hearing how some of you guys would approach this particular break, other than not at all ;)

Update:  8+ years later and still holding strong - see f/u post below for more.

Views: 2597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very kind of you, Larry.  My approach to this sort of thing is somewhat of a MacGyver meets Pitt Bull experience...finesse and nuance are often sacrificed for the practical/utilitarian.  I have to say, in the spirit of full disclosure, that the cell phone pic of the back of the repair is flattering due to the angle and poor resolution.  Still, I am pretty happy with the outcome.  It certainly could look much worse; but more importantly, I am guardedly optimistic that it will be a durable repair, allowing years of more enjoyment without breaking the bank...very satisfying from my perspective.

It's a shame that Don left the scene never to return to experience the forgiveness associated with a successful resolution.  Truly, that crazy cat disappeared after knocking the guitar over, never to return...he knew he had screwed the proverbial pooch ;)

Just wanted to provide a belated update as a data point for any who might have an interest.  I am pleased to report that after 8+ years, many hours of playing, and three moves, all is still good.  The neck repair has held up well.  Thanks to all who took the time to provide input to my initial post, especially Russell Vance, who generously provided the details for the repair approach that I used to resurrect my son’s guitar.  This is clearly a very robust method given that it has held up even when applied to a break with such a poor prognosis and executed by a novice with minimal tools.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service