FRETS.NET

SN#32665

Just wanted to get some repair feedback on this guitar my Aunt found in her closet. I have been repairing instruments for about 4 years and feel pretty good about my abilities.

But considering the historical/financial repercussions of a less then perfect job I feel I may bring this down to Palo Alto to insure the repair is handled properly.

Plus I don't know what kind of finish they used on this. I read Nitro-C wasn't used before 1927 it was high gloss shellac but considering this one is from 1927 it should be NC right?

She brought me this one saying " lets fix this up for my son to take to college"  One looks at the frets and I was talking her out of that idea..(check pic)

Now that I've told her about the year and possible value of the instrument, she would like it repaired for sale or to keep as a heirloom.

I attached some photos of the crack and am wondering what some of y'all experienced types think about me tackling this myself or if I should step aside. Thanks for your time!

Frets Side crack Impact area (close up) Side Crack Body shot

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Others can tell you about the repair, but it looks beautiful.  Love it.

Crack doesn't look that serious. Was it glued before?

I'd work hot hide glue in, make sure you get a good alignment, and possibly add some minor reinforcement on the inside.

You shouldn't have to do any finish touchup.

Jim

I dont see any glue or signs of previous reinforcement.

Im curious about how to align the side when gluing.

There are no side braces, so the split side has seperated horizontally about 1 to 2 mm. inward on the top end(of crack) and out on the bottom end of the crack.

I have never used rare-earth magnets but was thinking this maybe a good candidate..

You may be able to align the crack by pushing from the inside and outside to get the pieces to come together? Sometimes they will pop in place and stay there. If that doesn't work you can make an inner and outer caul and drill a very small hole to thread a high E string and use a a tuner attached to a block of wood to tighten the 2 cauls and get the sides to align. Frank Ford may have some info on the string winder clamp on his web site.

I'm not sure the magnets would have enough power to pull the misaligned pieces together.

But, I will say where there is a will there is a way, sometimes you have to think these repairs over for awhile.

Jim

Nice guitar. Definately hide glue. Also, you dont have to do the whole crack in one shot. Hide glue makes this a lot easier.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service