FRETS.NET

1972 Martin 00-18c (classical) - fan bracing pattern

I am looking for the top plate fan bracing pattern for a newly required (top missing) 1972 Martin 00-18c.  Scale length is 26 3/8 -  12/19.  Any information out there or can you direct me to a site that might have such.

Thanks

Greg

Austin, TX

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try a picture of Willie Nelson's guitar , the bracing is quite visible!

...never noticed Willie wearin' braces

I wouldn't think the original Martin bracing pattern was worth copying. I'd look into one or another of the good Spanish models' bracing schemes and go from there. http://www.luth.org/plans/classic.htm

Glad you want to restore it as a gut-strung guitar though!

The more I research it, the more I think you are correct. Probably why the top is off in the first place.  Thanks for the input.

Perhaps the top was yanked because someone didn't like the sound, perhaps it was just dmaged beyond reasonable repair, but I think the more likely reason is that people feel compelled to redo certain Martin models as steelstrings. That one was originally Martin's rendering of a Hauser design, IIRC, but its target clientele was the Peter Paul and Mary crowd. I should think a good new top, properly voiced, would yield a gem.

My favorite Martin gut-strung guitar, of the 20th century anyway, was their very briefly produced 000-28C. Too many of them have been converted to steelstrings. The ones left original, that I've been able to handle, have been extraordinary guitars. But the "Willie" model has the form of a true classical guitar and is completely worth bringing up to its potential.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service