FRETS.NET

Just picked up a '98 Epiphone AJ- 45, a decent solid wood guitar. I'll do some simple upgrades ( bone nut and saddle ) and I'll have a nice cheap player. I must do something with that ugly peghead....It's clear finished mahogany . I decided on an ebony overlay and some veneer sandwiching under that and then a clear finish. I may also reshape the top of the peghead. What I would like to know is what is the best way to ...
1. Cut the peghead top.
2. Cut the veneer and ebony over lay. Have bandsaw, and Dremel
3. What glue to use... I have hide glue
4. Any other tips I would appreciate! I have basic guitar repair tools thanks

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll take a shot at answering your questions, since no one has replied. To apply the ebony overlay, you'll probably need to remove some wood from the top of the peghead so that the finished surface doesn't end up too high in relation to the nut and fingerboard. I use a pin router for this operation. You could use a drill press with a cutter bit or a hand-held router with the proper jig to keep the peghead even. Frank shows a Wagner Safety Planer on his site that would also appear to do a good job. I'm sure you could even use a hand plane if you are skilled and brave enough. Just be sure to practice on some scrap stuff first. The sandwiched veneer will work but you'll end up taking a lot of wood off the top of the peghead if you aren't pretty careful. As far as reshaping the edges of the peghead, I like to use just a rasp, files, scrapers, and some sandpaper to reshape one. You might want to consider reforming it to a shape that allows you to put some binding around the peghead. I think a bound peghead adds some class to the looks of a guitar. You might even try using some wood binding. As far as cutting the overlays, you'd probably be better served to purchase some material already sized to the thickness you need. You'd need a thickness sander to get the wood thin enough and still keep it even. Frank likes hide glue and I agree that it is strong and holds up well but it is a little more trouble to use. I like the yellow glues such as Titebond or Elmer's Carpenter Glue. I'm sure either glue would serve the purpose. One thing I have learned is to clean the excess glue off with water instead of trying to sand it off later. You may be surprised how a damp, coarse rag and some rubbing will save you so much sanding later on. I hope your repair goes well.
Ronnie Nichols
Thanks for the info. Ronnie! I may put that project on hold... there are some setup issues, I cut a new bone nut and saddle ( originals were plastic ) Action is very high at 12th fret. I think neck needs a reset! I put a strait edge on the finger board and it hit the bridge at a 16th of an inch below the bridge top. I lowered the saddle to the max, and ended up with
Gibson factory specs ......6/64ths ,low E at the 12th. It's playable now, but a reset....I don't think it's worth it. The guitar does sound fantastic! Thanks again! Ken
Hi Ken I had a similar problem with a head stock on a guitar that I once baught-- I thought it was "buttttt euglie" so all I did was (since I was short on funds) cut the top of the head stock to the shape that I liked better and put a coat of paint on it-- didnt cost me much and it came out ok.
Just an idea and I thought Id pass it to you :)

Donald
Hey Donald, Thats a good idea, I could give it the Gibson look......gloss black and a gold epi decal. Thanks
hi Ken- Its Always a pleasure to pass on info that I have to another guitar player or builder.... best to ya...
Donald
One thing I have noticed is, that if you laminate something on a peg head some times replacement tuners will be to short, i.e. the shaft won't reach above the peg head and you need to get longer shaft tuners and re-drill the string hole. It just happened to me with a customer's Aria hollow body (looks like a 335) that has mother of toilet seat laminated on the peg head. I got a set of replacement tuners (3 on a plate) from Elderly and the string holes are just barely above the holes. I had to re-order pegs that were made for slot-head guitars and are slightly longer. Something I hadn't anticipated.

Rev George

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service