FRETS.NET

Hey all! As some of you know, I am an extreme vintage Gibson fanatic and caretaker and restorer of such. Not a trained luthier, but love attempting it.

I know when to turn it over to you pros.

I think of taking in these guitars as one would take in a stray pet.

I was offered this '63 Melody Maker at a price that I could not resist...

The GOOD: all original with the alligator case. All electronics function but need cleaning.

The BAD: the guitar has been neglected and needs cleaning and setup.

The UGLY: a rodent has chewed up some of the body and neck joints.

My question is how to best repair the chewed wood damage as pictured below...

My estimation is that up to 1/8" of wood is chewed in the deepest areas on the contours.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated....really!

Rod

Views: 1729

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So it's a '53 "Rat Mod"?

Going to have to put in a trem with a long shifter... er bar. 

Great idea, Ned!

I will have to order one of these, at the very least...

guitar strap

right now your guitar seem more like Rat Stink but it is a cool strap.

( I know, it's bad, but they just keep coming.)

Thanks Brian! I have been working on it tonite. CLEAN....really!

Would you please post an image when you've completed the job, I'd be interested to see.

I will be happy to!

I did not want to go ballistic with cutting/splicing wood, and resolved to making the knaw-marks a little less obvious....especially since they are the only thing bad on an otherwise nice,original guitar! I am happy with it.....As far as Rat Fink Guitars go...Ha!.

Looks good - these are such fun guitars to play - mine seems to tolerate outrageous string gauges, it's the only electric where 11's almost feel light.

Man, I got to get me one of these! Looks nice.

I agree..........nice job! I too think you did the right thing, keeping it as you found it, warts n' all.  Rock n' Roll  !!

Love it!  I think you did the right thing. Rock it.

Thanks guys, for the comments.It turned out good, MAINLY because it plays and sounds so good....Nice neck on these also.....The light weight is to 'die for' on the shoulder area also

I really wish that the 'natural disaster' had never happened. BUT, wish in one hand and 'st' in the other...thats life!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service