FRETS.NET

A friend has a 1971 D-41 that has a caving top. A few years ago he had the top braces scalloped and apparently they took too much off. Is there any good way to repair this, short of removing the top and replacing the braces? Would it be possible to remove the back and replace the bracing that way and would it be less obtrusive? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Patrick

Views: 257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All guitars tops deform some. Is this one deformed more than usual?

It should never have been scalloped. It was made to sound the best and someone thought he was smarter than Martin.

I would look int installing a Guitar Dr. inside below the bridge. That can remove all the deform from in frunt and the back of the bridge. It will even improve the sound.

Ron
Removing the back is far less of a problem than taking off the top, presuming that is a necessary and appropriate repair techique. Replacing top braces can be an expensive and time consuming ordeal, so there would be a number of things to consider when trying to evaluate the cost-effectiveness. For sure you'll want to have the benefit of inspection by a trained and experienced repairer.
JLD Bridge System.

I've installed many of these, feel free to contact me.
hold the guitar by the neck and beat the idiot who scalloped the braces with it until they realise the error of thier ways.

then charge him for doing it.
It should never have been scalloped. It was made to sound the best and someone thought he was smarter than Martin.
And that's why every Martin guitar is the best! Because they always evaluate the stiffness of each top, and adjust the bracing to maximize it's potential. Oh! -wait a minute= Martin doesn't do that! Never did as far as I'm aware.
So- maybe the top was too stiff, to someone's ears. Maybe it got over-scalloped. That's the chance you take, I suppose. But to presume that it was optimal at the outset seems silly to me. I endorse Martin as Quality. I cant support that Martin is Perfection. Not trying to sound snarky- but I have an issue with some kinds of sweeping pronouncements.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service