FRETS.NET

Greetings guitar makers -- first of let me start off by saying that I am NOT the most experienced flat top guitar make that ever walked the planet-- Ive made
(with gr8 sucess) a number of solid body guitars, however flat tops are a rather new thing for me.
Now here is the question-- the bracing in drednaut and classic guitars are different-- what I was wondering is if the same "X" bracing for a "D" would be ok to use on a classic???
I hope I described everything so that yall can understand what Im asking cuzz sometimes it dont all come out rite...
Donald

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to ask You, Donald,

Why would You want to do that?

I am not an expert, but I think there are more suitable bracing systems for classical (nylon strung) guitars.

My understanding is that the X is an excellent compromize to achieve both the vibe transfer from strings to guitar-top and still have the support needed to avoid top-lifting and bridge twisting on a steel strung guitar.

A classical guitar does not have the same string pressure and therefore allows lighter bracing systems, perhaps even need lighter bracing to get the sound volume wanted.

In a way it would be inerresting to se the result of a lighter X-system, otherwise I think You can try stringing up a smaller bodied x-braced flattop (made for steelstrings) with nylon strings, to try before Yoy start building. Most compromises I have heard of, in terms of guitars made for both nylon and steel strings, are no fun at all to listen to with nylon strings. The ones I have seen are Levin builds from Sweden, made in the 50:s and 60:s, with ladderbracing, and they are normally OK with steelstrings.

Levin also made D-size guitars for steelstrings with fanbracing (for Goya), and they make terrific noise..., I have one of those.
It is sort of the other way around, You would think it won´t hold, but I guess it is a matter of number of braces and dimension of the braces. The one I have is very nice in the sense it creates volume when played lightly.

/Magnus

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service