FRETS.NET

What a great site FRETS.COM is! I have searched for a long time for just such a one. MCD no longer takes orders for mountain dulcimers, I am now publishing tab books and doing stuff I want (age 82). About twenty years ago I found an Concert Grand ($300) in a little shop north of Indianapolis. It has taken 15 years of gentle weighting to bring the top back to flush. The instrument is not in as good shape as the one at Gryphon, but I have put off working on it for lack of knowledge. Any help greatly appreciated-- string sizes, other details. I will send photos, etc. if desired. I plan to center carbon strips in the top braces, renew felts and so on. The pix are a great help in evaluating the job. My dulcimers are not form-built; perhaps my experience can help experimenters.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John -

I'm glad to hear of another Concert Grand! Seems they must not have sold very many of these things. One turned up (bad shape) In Seattle, I think, some years ago, and I'm aware of one selling on eBay.

Ours had suffered some damage, although I never saw it in the "as found" condition. Mario Martello replaced the back when Jon Lundberg owned it more than 30 years ago.

I'd be glad to send you any detailed pix you might want, string sizes, etc., but I can't until mid-January. The instrument is on loan to a local museum and locked up until then.

Cheers,

Frank

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service