FRETS.NET

After seeing the images of the "1930s HG" on the Frets.com museum, I think I may have one of these guitars... although it has a new flat top.
By way of an estate sale of a long time music store in Texas, I came to own a guitar that I have believed for some time to be a 1930's Gibson.
This was found in the barn with a couple other "basket case" guitars, covered in dust and bird droppings. It was found without a top (but with the original braces) and seemed to be an incomplete repair project. An old texas guitar maker bought it and a couple other "basket cases" at the sale, and put a flat top on it and sold it to me, and he was equally stumped by it's exact vintage.
--Number on the neck block "A16473" hand written in pencil
--In appearance seems identical to the 1930's HG on frets.com museum, except for new top.
--No logo on the headstock when found, but intriguingly there was a new style Gibson headstock decal found with the guitar and braces.
--Upper bout 11 inches
--Lower bout 14-1/4 inches
--No truss rod (I read that in the 1930's Gibson produced some guitars without truss rod).
--Great deal of wear on the fret board and totally worn frets seems to confirm age.
--Ebony nut
--Mahogany neck and body.
--No machines with it... but has had a least two different sets of machines over time.
--Headstock and overall appearance pretty much identical to the frets.com museum Gibson 1930's HG ... except the top was totally replaced (was discovered in barn, without a top, but with original bracing).

This is a great playing guitar, very loud, and probably isn't worth much to a collector because of the new top, but it is my daily player, and I would appreciate if anyone can help me with an I.D.

Ross

Views: 88

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service