FRETS.NET

Ibanez Lonestar LE-405-WN Saddle, Rocks in slot on top of pickup

Pleased to present for your consideration. . . . . . . . .

I recently purchased a 1986 Ibanez Lonestar Series LE-405-WN, a thin lined body acoustic electric with a few issues.

This post concerns the saddle.  The original (?) is a thick, plastic, (.20) that sits on top of the pickup. It split under the G string, which also happens to be a high point that the saddle can rock on.  The saddle is crumbling along the break.

I've checked the bottom of the slot and it is flat.  The bottom of the pickup is flat but there is a high point on the top.  The pickup is coated and sealed, and is also about as wide as the slot.  Nearly .20 wide.  There are no active electronics inside, just volume and tone pots. 

I really don't want to sand off the bump, fearing to damage the pickup since it is so much larger that present day pickups I've seen.

The new saddle will be bone, can I slowly sand out a indent to match this bump to keep as much surface contact as possible between the saddle and the pickup?

Second concern.  The saddle break points are positioned differently then I've seen before for an acoustic.  This is a molded piece and doesn't look altered.

The high E is back about 3/4 of the way.

The B is to the very back.

The G, D, A are at a mid way point.

The low E is at the very back, same as the B string.

I never tried to string it up and check the intonation with the broken saddle.  The old strings on it were a .056-.011 set.  I plan to use .053-.012.

If I have to shape the bottom of the saddle to fit the pickup, all my adjusting for string height will have to be done on top. 

Any suggestions for proper procedure would be appreciated.

John

Views: 1813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Plugged into an amp it seems like it's an old headphone clammed on the guitar that serves as a microphone. Very unclear sound, although the volume is sufficient. I wonder if this kind of guitar should always have an external mic to pick up the acoustic sound properly.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service