FRETS.NET

Hi,

No real issue here, just interested in you experts' thoughts.

I have been doing a setup on my Gibson 335 12string, following the fitting of a new nut, and using the Gibson setup specs as a starting point. Everything is fine and the guitar plays like a dream but I have a question about setting intonation..........is it better to use a tuner or your ears ???

I have been using a TC electronics "Polytune" to set the intonation and whist this gets pretty damn close, I believe I can get a better, almost perfect result using my ears.

I realise that you luthiers must have much better professional electronic tuners that hold the calibration  much more steadily and accurately but I just wondered what your opinions are.....TUNERS or EARS ??

Cheers.......Brian

Views: 623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some interesting thoughts, thank you all; here are my conclusions.

Like Paul, I shall definitely continue to setup closely using the tuner, but for fine tuning the octave intonation I'll continue to use my ears that, considering the variables (instrument/strings/finger pressure etc)., I believe  are much more reliable. 

Like the very good point Steven made, I also make sure the adjustments are made with the guitar in the playing position.

Note, I am NOT decrying  the use of tuners, in fact I simply couldn't manage without one in a live, noisy gig/bar situation, particularly with a 12 string guitar !! ;-)

Brian

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service