FRETS.NET

I just took in a beautiful 1963 Gibson SG for repair with a cracked headstock. The headstock is still intact I can't open up the crack to get glue in. Was looking for the forumsthoughts as to preventing the crack from getting worse.

Regards Scott

Views: 400

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, it's a nice Special. A freind and bandmate had one just like that, he was very sorry later that he sold it.
I have questions: Is this an old crack that has already been fixed? Have you tried warming the area? What does the customer want; good cosmatics or a solid neck?
If it is really as tight as you say it would be hard to touch it at all. If it is tight and glued already using red laquer would fill in the surface and with any luck make the crack invisible.
Thanks for showing it!
Client brought it in for a new nut and I am the one who found the crack. It's not been glued before and its been in the case for quite some time. We don't want to change the cosmatics.
Did you think of trying some thin super glue into the crack???????? Some thing that is that tight I would mask it real close to the crack on ether side and put the super glue to it and then wipe it off as soon as you think it is not going to run in any more quickly as you can. Make sure that you rub the leading edg of the tape down real tite along the crack so it don't weep under the masking then pull the tape off to-wards the crack so as not to lift any of the finish off with it . Good luck Bill.""""""""""
When I get a cracked headstock that's tightly closed like this, I'll just barely open the crack with a "controlled jig". With the body and neck held-down firmly (upside down, with a set of padded wooden struts held to the workbench with bolts) the headstock is left free-floating... then apply separate pressure to the headstock with another bolt/nut/clamp combo, and crank-down a little at a time until the crack has opened just enough to get a hypodermic syringe in there. Shoot in your glue of choice (titebond for me) as far as you can, then relieve the headstock pressure. Wipe the squeeze-out for a minute or two, and it should be good.
Basically what Mike says- clamp the neck to the bench, then with a separate clamp pull the headstock down opening the crack. I would use hot hide glue, which is much thinner and runnier than Titebond and will penetrate the crack better. Squish it in, unclamp the headstock so you can flex it a couple times and put a wedge under the headstock to close up the crack tightly.
Great advice from all! I like the hide glue and clamping the crack open. I thought about wicking thin super glue in the crack but my gut says that the hide glue is the best plan of attack. Once again thanks for all the great feed back.

Scott Pike

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service