FRETS.NET

I'm just preparing to order the material for bulding my first guitar and I'm wondering about the best binding material - plastic or wood.

I like the idea of a wood binding because it just seems more natural, but I'm guessing plastic may be easier to put on. Also, I'm speculating that plastic may provide better protection on the edges of the guitar.

Ay opinions on this?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doug,
I built my first 4 guitars with plastic bindings and Weldon Solvent Cement #16. Everything went perfectly. The fifth guitar I tried some curly Koa bindings on a Mahogany parlor guitar and it didn't go well. There are a few additional skills required and the waist on a parlor guitar is deeper than say a dreadnought.

So if this is your guitar to keep forever, go for it. If there are any local builders to assist it might be good to enlist their help and if its a dreadnought all the better. Otherwise use the plastic binding for this first one and remember there are many $ 3000 plus guitars with plastic bindings that look and sound great.

My two cents, good luck

Don
Thanks Don,

I think I will start with plastic. I'm guessing this won't be the last or certainly not the best guitar I will make, so plastic should be good.

Thanks,

Doug Collins
Doug -

Right on both counts - plastic is easier and more resilient. OK, no surprise there - it's also cheaper for factory production. That said, wood is very cool, gives fine protection (particularly if it's tropical hardwood) and isn't all that difficult to handle. Generally, it requires the same care in bending you give to guitar sides.

One serious advantage of wood over plastic - it doesn't shrink, loosen, or decompose with age.
Ya got my vote Frank.. the builder can also go to a place like LMI and get plastic binding of all sorts (even some that "look" like wood)
Donald

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service