FRETS.NET

I use various ways to heat and loosen joints but I've never gotten any of these heating blankets I've seen like in the LMI catalog. Do many of you folks use these and if so what methods do you use and where do you get the ones you like? Thanks.

Charlie

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Charlie, I have used the ones for fingerboard extensions and bridges for 8 or 10 years. I bought one for bridgeplates recently, but haven't figured out just how I'm going to use it yet. Previously I used heatlamps and cardboard shields with aluminum foil to protect surroundings. One big advantage is safety- with the timer I can't start a fire if I get sidetracked.
I got mine from LMI.
I've got a couple that I have used for 15 years or so. One for loosening the fretboard extension and one for bridge removal. They both work great, just clamp them in place and turn on the heat, no need to protect the adjacent area. Makes the job go much faster when you don't need heat shields, ect.
I highly recommend them.
For bridge plate removal I just use a heated block of aluminum held against the bridge plate, with a handle(home made). The heating pads would be awkward to clamp on the bridge plate, and then you have different size plates and bracing that you have to deal with.
Jim
I use the LMI blanket for bridge removal. It works great, but you have to add weight for good heat transfer.
I've been using the LMI blankets for a long time now, too. One thing I've noticed is that the various sizes and shapes have different working temperatures, so it really pays to use a controller as well as a timer. I'm prone to walking away and forgetting the heat is on, so it really helps to have a timer.
Google Omega. They have heating blankets of all kinds of sizes and wattage.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Charlie
I use one of the big ones to bend sides and we use smaller ones for various purposes, most commonly in loosening the fingerboard extension prior to steaming off a neck. I get them from LMI.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service