FRETS.NET

Expecting a 2005 Guild CV-1 'Grand Auditorium' this weekend for a look-see. The owner was quoted an hefty amount for a neck reset (and subsequent refret), citing the usual "major surgery" issues associated with the work.

However, in doing some research, it looks as though these guitars have some sort of graphite neck block and the necks are bolt-on.

I'm told this particular guitar was made in the Guild factory in Tacoma, WA factory and the model was discontinued after the company's move back east.

Long story short: does anyone here have any experience with doing a reset on these guitars?  Any opinions on the graphite block/bolted necks?  Thanks in advance!

(not my pic, it's credited to 12fret.com)

Views: 1088

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So the job's now mine to do. Needs a reset, frets and a saddle. Got the guitar apart and it's an interesting neck-attachment system.  It's a molded graphite block with matching graphite 'rails' on the neck. The graphite block has a "spider" affair with thin legs that fan out, and are attached to, the underside of the top.

Four screws total (3 upstairs for the fingerboard extension, 1 for the pulling the neck tight). It's apparently been apart before and someone's managed to lose a washer and a small spring-steel flex plate, but not a biggie.

There's been controversy over this particular Guild set-up (never patented and no longer made) but the bottom line seems to be if it's in good shape now, it's likely to stay that way. 

Yikes, there's shades of Ovation in that neck block construction ...but otherwise it seems like it's a nice guitar.

Pics attached just for someone's future reference down the road.

Attachments:

Seems very close to Garrison construction and may have been born in the same shop. The local store was a Garrison dealer (thru their short life) and they provided him with a completed frame, I assume for display/advertisement purposes. He and I examined it closely. The screws or bolts were not there but I think everything else was. Reminded me more of something you would see in a B-2 bomber than a guitar but it was interesting and I was a bit excited to see someone incorporating a rather radical approach to guitar construction. Their guitars seemed to be very bright sounding but well built. I've never had occasion to attempt any work on one so I can't help with that. Please let us know it comes out.

It's turning-out fine....  everything's pretty normal once you get used-to the attachment scheme.  Plus, it's refreshing, for a change, not needing to not break out the steamer, bicycle needle, etc.

I'm not familiar with Garrison guitars, so can't say if the neck block attachment is the same or not.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Mike.  It looks like a pretty sensible layout.  Bolt-on and bolt-down is a good system in general.  I was really interested in those Garrison guitars when they were around.  I played a few but didn't quite get around to buying one.  I guess there are still lots of them on EBay and elsewhere.  I wonder how their framing system is holding up?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service