FRETS.NET

Luthier Talk (3,833)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Anyone using an Optivisor?

Hi all. Thinking of spending some of my hard-earned on useful tools and stuff that I've had my eye on for a while. A few times while doing…

Started by Keith R

18 Jan 27
Reply by Brian Burns

Extra Long Triangle File

If you use triangle files for fret work; this idea might be of use. Especially when doing re-crown jobs with wide flat tops on the leveled…

Started by Thomas James

6 Jan 26
Reply by Thomas James

Old Italian mandolin: opinions and advice sought

Hi guys, I've been asked to repair the inlays on a lovely old mandolin that used to belong to my customer's grandfather. My eagle-eyes, how…

Started by Keith R

4 Jan 26
Reply by John Yungbluth

are there different colors and textures of the same wood?

Ok, super-newbie question here. I have a Lucero LC100 classical acoustic.  It had 5 holes on the top (not going all the way through, more…

Started by Jim Figurski

8 Jan 26
Reply by Jim Figurski

Assistance Please - Identifying Stringed Instrument...

A very good client of mine brought me an unusual stringed instrument that I am having difficulty identifying.  As such I decided that I wou…

Started by Hesh Breakstone

7 Jan 23
Reply by Roger Häggström

Straightening neck of vintage Gibson J50 with large amount of upbow

Hi, I have acquired a 1955 Gibson J50 which was in an unplayable state. It's not original, in that the top has been refinished and the brid…

Started by Andrew Hann

29 Jan 19
Reply by Robbie Collins

BASS 3/4 size standup (dog house)

BASS 3/4 size standup (dog house) I have a K Bass M5 1947 -1948 vintage with laminated top and back. The top is sinking and the back is sta…

Started by Charlie Bowerbank

5 Jan 14
Reply by charley erck

Neck Reset

I have a Stewart Wondertone that I need to take the neck off. I would like to know if it would be a dovetail or different type of joint. Al…

Started by Charlie Bowerbank

4 Jan 13
Reply by Charlie Bowerbank

White flecks have appeared in the last few years in this guitar...

Started by Kerry Krishna

8 Jan 13
Reply by Dean Sibley

Thanks Frank!

You just solved a big problem for me; drilling dots in string pins. I always buy unslotted ebony pins and add a 4 mm pearl dot for the vint…

Started by Roger Häggström

1 Jan 12
Reply by Pierre Castonguay

RSS

© 2018   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service