FRETS.NET

Hello

I live in Bucharest, Romania.

I am not a luthier, I just like to use tools and make things with my own hands.

I have read Mr. Ford frets.com and also all the discussions here and I found a lot of invaluable information and I thank you for this.

I did some minor repairs to my guitars and I repaired a broken peghead on an EKO Ranger.

Now, my problem: I bought a Sigma 12 strings from Ebay with a broken peghead that was profesionaly repaired previously. Is in very good cosmetic condition, with very litle wear but the bridge is rotated and the top is bellied.

All the braces are glued and the bridgeplate is in good shape. The bridgeplate is laminated with 4 or 5 layers, only the first layer is missing some wood between pin holes.

You can see in the pictures how much is the top bellied. In these pictures the guitar is without strings.

The action is a little too high, it can be reduced by shaving the saddle but the problem is the intonation that is sharp on all strings because of the bridge rotation.

As I can't afford to buy an expensive guitar and I like very much how this one sounds, I would like to flaten the top. And because I want to do all the work by myself, the costs and the time wouldn't be a problem. That would be also a very good way to learn.

I know about JLD Bridge Doctor but I hope to receive advice from you.

Views: 10761

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great News, bravo!
One last thing for bridge doctor fixes. I keep a few sheets of peghead veneer wood from stew mack on hand for patching. I can always find matching color and grain to make a 'dot' to use instead of the MOP dot to cover the screw hole. using somw wood dust and CA the dot disappears. Ace has a cutter that makes nice dots, just match to the right size drill bit.

It doesn't look like the OP hangs around any more. I have the exact guitar he has. I found this forum because of his version of the Bridge Dr. Thought I'd draw it up before making it. 

I have the first part of my bridge brace made. This was 3D printed.

Does anyone read this?

Thats an interesting device. What is the material?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service