FRETS.NET

Oh Learned Luthiers:

I now have my wood and I'm ready to start my first guitar, but already I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. I have Engelman Spruce for the top, and Indian Rosewood for the back and sides, but I'm a little surprised at how thick they are in their rough form. The sides and back are about 1/4" thick. I understand the sides need to get down to about .100" !

I don't have a planner or a thickness sander. Are there a tricks to accomplish this, or do I need to seek the services of a woodworking shop?

Or should I have just bought them pre-sanded from Stew-Mac for twice the price?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doug... the first line of defense might be a pal with a thickness sander, but...in a pinch, I've had good luck with the Wagner Safe-T-Planer... it's slow but sure. It basically sits in your drill-press and you feed the stock under it. I use one for smaller stock like bridgeplates and the like. .It'll take a while to do a pair of sides, but it'll work. In my experience, a final sanding is required to even-out the work.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Planes/Wagner_Safe-T-Planer.html

LMII also has 'em, and many general woodworking supply catalogs... the prices vary.
Hey Jim - all good sugestions, however I never intended that Doug use a power planer, I ment for him to use a "jack Plane"
in which works well if you dont take too much at one time and if you take your time.... OK??
Sorry if I miss ked you Doug.....
Donald
hey guys;
just read thru this thread. as a cabinetmaker i have only one thing to say.......
PLANING A PIECE OF PLYWOOD IS A GREAT WAY TO DULL / WRECK YOUR PLANE IRON.
use a thickness sander. no tear out, waaaaay more consistent thickness and it would take all of about 3 minutes to do your pieces. please don't wreck your planes.....
Hi Mike-- The plywood that I sugested that Doug use is for the purpose of a bed to lie the spruce top on and not to be planed...
Or perhaps Im not on the same page as you are--
Donald

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service