FRETS.NET

OK guys,a little feedback required here.As you can hopefully see in the pics attached heres a project I've been putting off for a long time.
Its a cheapo 1940's(I think cos of its brass frets)Kay mini Jumbo I aquired some time ago.It had tone to the bone but a terrible neck set so I decided to wack it off.
Needless to say it was my first attempt at a neck removal so I kind of screwed it up.
I think I hit the block and used way to much steam.The result.......well I got the neck off,but I also loosened the top from the block and for about two inches out on either side,also the sides are a little loose from the block.
The major issue seems to be the fact that the block itself has swollen/risen leaving bout a 2/3mm gap between the top,binding and sides(pic 2).
Also,fretboard was already hangin off ....can't take the credit for that I'm afraid.lol.
Now,would like your opionions on how repair this old girl,got a few ideas myself but I have the tendency to to things the hard way.
Hope the pics are ok let me know if u want more and by the way,hi to all the fellow geetar heads on here.
Cheers,David.
KayKayKay

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doesn't look like it's a problem getting it back together. I'd let everything dry for maybe a week. Then work some hot hide glue around the block, where ever it's loose and clamp. I'd probably do it in steps, the sides to the block, then the top and back to the block, ect.
Hide glue would be my choice for glue, as it is what was originally used, plus new hide glue will adhere easily with the old glue.

Jim

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service