FRETS.NET

I'm getting close to finishing my first guitar and I'm just putting on the bindings. I couldn't decide whether I wanted wood or plastic bindings, so I'm doing both.

I'm doing a double layered (stacking) thing. On the bottom I successfully glued a black plastic binding on top of white using Weld-On #16, as recommended. I want to do the same thing on top, except I want to make the upper layer rosewood.

Obviously Weld-On #16 is good for wood to plastic, so the top wood binding would adhere to the lower plastic part of the sandwich, but what about where wood meets wood at the top binding? I'm guessing Tite-bond will work to stick both surfaces, but I think Weld-On would be easier to work with in this application.

So, should I go ahead and try Weld-On, or is that a mistake?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

citing StewMac instruction site:

"Weld-On 16 is best for plastic bindings, or for plastic and wood bindings used together."
I believe the acetone based glue would probably work with the wood to wood joint. Another glue you might want to think about in this application is the CA glue (Super Glue). It works real well with either material. You just have to be prepared when you start usung it. You don't have time too do much adjusting with CA. Once you get past the initial scare of using this to attach binding you may not ever want to use anything else. The acetone based glues tend to swell the plastic binding somewhat and soften it through and through. The CA can be smoothed down and finished immediately without waiting several days. There are several viscosities and different drying times. I hope your project goes well.
Ronnie Nichols
I think Weld-On 16 will work, and I think I probably wouldn't go wrong with CA glue, however, sometimes a guy has to learn from his own mistakes - which I hope I am not making by choosing Titebond.

I think CA glue would work fine, but because wood is not quite as flexible as plastic, I was concerned I might not have enough time to get it in place before the glue sets up. (In retrospect, I think I would have had plenty of time). I know Weld-on works to glue plastic to wood, because the plastic binding was already glue to the wood body using this glue. However, because the plastic portion of the binding sandwich is going to be very narrow (1/16") and the wood wider (1/4"), I felt Titebond would be best for a bond that is a majority wood to wood.

The immediate results are good. Hopefully it will hold up in the long run. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Thanks,

Doug Collins

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service