FRETS.NET

Hi all and mr. Ford, of course... I always admired your work, etc.etc.... my compliments for the GREAT job you're doing for our guitars;-)
I'm in a someway bad situation: I recently purchased a quite battered, BUT cheap '64 Guild F-212, as a workhorse guitar for travelling, etc.
The previous owner (badly) installed some ugly, black Mini-Grovers, really awful looking... he slightly cracked headstock underside.
I found a NOS/NIB set of Grover's Sta-Tite 312-C from Hans Moust in The Netherland and asked to my luthier to restore my F-212 to stock conditions.
My luthier is quite in troubles, as he found the Mini Grovers caused a mismatching in re-installing Sta-Tite's... also appears the F-212 didn't mounted Sta-Tite's, but a lesser tuning machines, with different inter-holes mounting.
Now, the problem: it's not closing, suing mahoganny patches the wrong holes, but the black celluloid top headstock veneer with "GUILD" plastic, MOP-like logo, which has different holes and marring from previous Mini Grovers nuts and spacers.
My luthier suggests: "Let's do in ebony!", but I guess it's not such a good idea... I still hope it would be possible to polish the black celluloid, or, better still, finding a new black celluloid blank and re-doing the headstock and logo...
I know it's not a 1929 Martin 00-45, BUT for my playing a vintage twelve strings is worth the above;-) and I'd wish to have a "correct" job done.
Where could I find some black celluloid for this job, Frank?
What about in using some black plexiglass? Any other idea or suggestion?
Frank? Anyone?
Thanks a lot for any feedback on the matter, folks and all the very best,
Stefano

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A work horse dosen't need to look like a thorbred! If it is playable just play it!

Ron
You could always use a .030" black pickguard material to replace the existing headstock veneer, but the problem would be replicating the Guild logo... unless you could save it and re-install it the new plastic.

In the long run, I'm with Ron on this one, if it's a "workhorse for traveling", then a good set of tuners in a solid (non-cracked) headstock is all you really need. Good luck.
Hi Ron, Mike... you're right... BUT, you know: you buy those nice old Grovers', you have some bracing reglued, the little cracks in headstock underside fixed... when the axe is on teh doctor workbench, this is the moment to complete an eventual overhaul... a workhorse will be, BUT not an ugly one;-)

Those "so period inappropriate" black Grovers' (look at the pix) were really too much;-), also for a no brainer ol' Guild.
Would them be chrome, I'd have only fixed the crackings... but... those...

Anyway: thanks for hinting about black pickguard, Mike...
Stefano -

One consistent problem with those celluloid peghead veneers is that they ALWAYS shrink, pull loose and deform the peghead with time (accelerated by heat of course).

That said, I would absolutely take your luthier's recommendation and upgrade to ebony. It is structurally much more stable. You could salvage the celluloid logo and inlay it into the ebony and make a very nice looking job of it. Now, if you want plain black, stain the ebony blacker. A second choice might be to use black fiber, like the stuff LMI sells. My last choice would be plastic - it's simply unstable.
Hi Frank and thanks for yr. quick, valuable advice.
I already gave a definite "Go!" to my luthier for an ebony veneer, with underside maple sheet for the little binding, and resqueing the "mother-of-toilet" Guild logo (or having it re-done in genuine, white M.O.P. if damaged - to look like the original... will obtain a gloss, stable surface with french-polishing the final headstock.
Will keep forumers informed with a picture about the final result, after restoring... because a working horse may look elegant like a racer;-)
Thanks again and best,
Stefano
Hi Frank, All!

Have a look to this link:

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2009/11/64-guild-f-212-nt-restorati...

Will post more pixes when the 'ol F-212 will be back home.

Thanks again for yr. wise support and best,

Stefano

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service