FRETS.NET

does anyone out there use titebond liquid hide glue? ihavent had any experience with it but i have been wondering about it . any info would be appreciated. john

Views: 1744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you've convinced me to get some and give it a try, perhaps on fan braces, linings, and bindings+purflings. Especially with the latter, it would be nice to have just a little more working time and certainly less dependence on keeping the ambient temperature up. Any guidance on typical set times or have you not pressed your luck on that yet? Also, any feel for what the shelf life of the glue is? As far as I've been able to determine, the only additive is glycerol to prevent gelling so the liquid has to be considered a great growth medium for bitty bugs.

Bob
John,
I used it briefly when I was trying to stay close to traditional repair and i found that it works OK, not near as swift as the real thing as far as setup time, so you really have to wait on that aspect.
Check the dates on it, make sure you go with the freshest.
Vinnie
We had the same discussion some time ago on a Swedish forum.

I cannot argue against the experiences told here, but if You go throught the information on Franklins homepage, the recommended storage time for for their aliphatic glue (Original Wood Glue) is the same as for the LHG, 12 months.

They also make basically the same statements regarding some of the usage between the two types.

Original Wood Glue:
"Not for structural or load bearing applications."
"Titebond Original Wood Glue is not intended for exterior use or where moisture is likely"
"Bond Strength 3,600 PSI
"Storage life 12 months in tightly closed containers at 75°F"

Liquid Hide Glue:
"Titebond Liquid Hide Glue is not intended for exterior use or where moisture is likely"
"Not for structural or load bearing applications"
"Excellent creep-resistance"
" Bond Strength 3,591 PSI"
"Storage life 12 months in tightly closed containers at 75°F"

I have used LHG to glue the fretboard to the top, and also for dovetail joints, so far no failures.
Also for cracks.

/Magnus
Bob, the set-up time is around 10-12 hours and I have not tested this. That can be a draw-back but if you build
it into your procedures it's not bad. I'll usually spend the day getting things to fit together and then glue up last thing in the day, by the morning everything is ready to go. It is great for wood purflings and bindings, have never tried it for cellulose. Linings work out great with it as well, just catch any excess and clean it up while it's soft if possible. Shelf life is long if refrigerated, freezing is not recommended but may be ok depending on who you talk to. I only have a small amount on the workbench at a time, just don't want
to push it. Probably am being too careful but it seems like a good idea.
I was given a very nice top set of Carpathian spruce at the NAMM show, the humidity in that hall was so bad it developed a crack. Perfectly good set and I hated to see it thrown out. I brought it home and when the crack closed in proper humidity situations, I glued it up with fish glue. It's been great though I will wait to use the set for some time just to see what it does....
Best
Bruce

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service