FRETS.NET

Hello

I found a new, but damaged-in-transit, Yamaha FG700S for sale cheap.

Attached are the photos of the damage.

Could someone please tell me what a luthier may charge for a quick repair,

meaning, just regluing what is there, and making it stable?

I know a very small piece of the top will be missing, but if it is

all together again, I think it will play fine.

Thank you.

Views: 419

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Arthur,

The picture show some pretty bad damage. Cross grain brakes, missing top material, broken binding, loose internal braces. You can get one of these new for a couple of hundred bucks. I'd say it totaled and just getting it stable, without making it look nice would be more than it's worth.

thank you for the advice

I will pass on this one

Seriously, Arthur, we've got to get you on the road to learning how to do some repair for yourself. You obviously have the interest.  This guitar is NOT a starting place for that so don't waste your money but you've show your interest over and over.

A guitar like this MIGHT be an ok (not great) deal for someone with the skills and the will to repair it for their own use but it never going to be worth the time and effort involved in fixing it. Honestly, it's not a guitar I would ever pick to repair as a hobbyist because the ratio of trouble to value is just too high. I have cheaper guitars in my collection but they are almost all interesting to me is some fashion beyond  just being a player. This Yamaha is too new, too low end and much too broken to be of much interest and it would be easier to just buy one that isn't damaged if you want this model.  

IF you can gain some skills in repair, your ability to assess broken instruments will improve. Truthfully, it's hard for me to evaluate the cost of repairs since I don't take my stuff to others, or at least not for a very long time and I'm slow as Moses at doing them myself but I have an idea of what's easy and what's not, what takes more time that it seems and what's actually fairly quick despite how it looks. I'm NOT fast but I strongly doubt that even a quick repairman could stabilize this for less than the cost of a new one. That's usually what new, damaged instruments like this are sold instead of repaired. 

To me, you are wanting guitars to play but don't have the money for them. Learning to repair them on your own can be both cost effective (sort of) and rewarding in it's own right.

Hello, what about the new photo I've attached?

This is from a Yamaha FG411S

Attachments:

sorry, it is actually a FG441S

Hi Arthur.

Ned gave you some inspired suggestions.

Re: the top crack on the FG411S...

There are 3 common "best guess" reasons for such a crack.

1. An impact crack. Without a cracked finish or other visible physical damage, this is unlikely.

2. POOR craftsmanship. Although the FG series guitars are considered entry level instruments, I again doubt that is the case.

3. Humidity or more specifically; lack thereof.  We've discussed how to repair those dozens of times so I won't rehash them other than to say: humidify until it's at the proper level... the crack should close.. work in some white glue... wipe away the residue... let it dry for a day... enjoy your guitar.  :)

I presently have two FG700S's on the bench. Both are brand new (purchased by a husband & wife learning to play) and in for a setup that will make them eminently more comfortable to play.

The owners ONLY paid $200 each and that included a hard case. The guitars (again very nice solid topped ENTRY LEVEL guitars) were set up adequately from the factory.

I was very impressed with them.... for the price. The one I completed the setup on plays as well as any acoustic out there. Other than a fret polish and action adjustments at the nut & saddle, they needed no work.

Best of luck on your continuing search for your ideal guitar. In the mean time... keep playing the one you have & enjoy it. Having fun IS the bottom line. :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service