FRETS.NET

The recent post about beautiful restorations inspired me to pull this one out.  I bought this guitar 15 or 20 years ago at an outdoor antique market.  It has been untouched since then.  It came in a rounded "coffin case".
It has Brazilian rosewood sides and back, but the sides and back are lined with a spruce veneer.   The rosewood apparently has shrunk more than the spruce because there are gaps in the rosewood back open to the spruce below.  Both sides have splits running along the side inlay.  The front and back of the peghead are missing parts of the ebony veneer.

There are no labels and no markings.  The tuners look to me to be 1890s vintage, and they are inlaid into the peghead.

It would be nice to have this professionally restored, but I'm afraid that the cost would be more than the guitar is worth.  I've already got too many projects on my bench to start in on this, but maybe in a couple months.  Suggestions how to handle the open cracks in the back?  Any ideas who made this, or where it was made?

Many thanks,

George

Views: 2125

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It turns out that Frank was spot on with his identification.  A gentleman from Berlin, whose web site is here: http://www.antique-guitars.de/   tells me it was made by Johann Friedrich Augustus Paulus in Neukirchen, about 1850.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service